AspireOne within a network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by benz4417, Jul 15, 2008.

1. benz4417

sanger440

tadder: My pyNeighborhood did the same thing. I used Add Machine, typed in the IP of and the Workgroup of my windows xp machine and hit ok. The Workgroup then showed up in pyNeighborhood and when I double clicked on the folders I was granted access. Make sure your files are shared on the windows machine.

I am very happy that pyNeighborhood is working and thanks to all for the instructions. I have fiddled with linux off and on for years and have had pyNeighborhood working on other linux boxes. But on previous installs I could see all the machines on my network and just double click on the Workgroups that were shown in the Gui and the shared folders would be available. On the aspire install, I have to use Add Machine with the IP and Workgroup name to get access to shared folders. It may be a samba thing, not sure.

Question: Are others able to access their shared files without using Add Machine? If so, can you share your pyNeighborhood preference settings?

I would like to take this machine to other locations, scan the network in pyNeighborhood, and access shared folders without having to know the IP address of these machines.

Thanks.

Sanger.

sanger440, Dec 3, 2008
  2. benz4417

necro

Picked this up on the forum somewhere..

Installed Dolphin from the add remove software option.
    Finds all network shares easy..

Hope this helps.

necro, Dec 4, 2008
  3. benz4417

drewdoog

did this and it crashed. I was only able to see the 'search' box on the main screen.
    if anyone else runs across this
    type 'terminal' into the search box and change it to 'desktop'
    scroll down the results and click the 'terminal' next to 'user/bin'
    type in
    Code:
    mousepad /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml
    it will open the xfce menu (thats noob talk for us people who dont know the right words for things yet)
    delete
    Code:
    <app sequence="7">/usr/local/share/applications/pyNeighborhood.desktop</app>
    and restart

Thanks to everyone for this tutorial. It took about 3 hours of constant 'directory not found' 'no command' 'please stop throwing me across the room' errors, but i managed to get it working... still dont have a desktop icon, but thats for another day.

drewdoog, Dec 13, 2008
  4. benz4417

tinuviel

I'm finding this process very confusing. I got through the entire setup, and have created /home/user/lan and set pyN to use that for mounts. I have also done the chown on it, however when I try, it fails.

1. I open a fresh Terminal in the [user@localhost ~] folder
    2. I enter chown user.user /home/user/lan
    3. Terminal says "chown: cannot access '/home/user/lan': No such file or directory

This is a lie, because I created that directory and can see it sitting in my home directory (ie: My Disk:/// in the address bar of Thunar). Why is Linpus lying to me? I'm so damn confused.

Typing /user/lan without the /home in front didn't help either.

And when I'm trying to use pyN, I enter the name of the wireless network that's set up in the house, enter the IP address of the machine (set up through our router) I'm trying to access, and give it a name. Why is it saying the scanning of the network is failing?

tinuviel, Feb 2, 2009
  5. benz4417

tinuviel

Okay, I tried something new. I just double-clicked on "Groups" and now my PC and laptop show up under the right panel. However, I double-click them to connect and it says "Scanning host [name] - failed." I don't understand why - the correct IP address was detected for them when I clicked on "Detect missing settings"... any help is greatly appreciated.

tinuviel, Feb 17, 2009
Ask a Question