AspireOne within a network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by benz4417, Jul 15, 2008.

1. benz4417

sbessel

Do you have a SD card in your storage expansion slot? If so it probably put your download there, and you need to start there before the tar...
    do a:
    Code:
    cd /mnt/home/Downloads
    then the
    Code:
    tar -xvjf pyNeighborhood-0.4.1.tar.bz2
    If you use the right-click for cut and paste it will work in the terminal window.

I have a question now:
    How can I make the mounts persistent?

otherwise this worked great for me. (with the 2 changes, of mkdir /mnt/lan and cd /mnt/home/Downloads before the tar)

thanks,

Scott

sbessel, Aug 28, 2008
  2. benz4417

jonjmorrison

Hi, I'm getting exactly the same problem as Hyperjoe was but I've not got a SD card in the slot... any more ideas?

Thanks, Jon

jonjmorrison, Sep 5, 2008
  3. benz4417

sbessel

insert an SD card? :D

sorry I have no other ideas, just figured I would give the thread a bump for help...

Scott

sbessel, Sep 5, 2008
  4. benz4417

Phil_Urich

Personally for samba sharing, at least for accessing shares I mean, I've been using Konqueror . . . hey, what can I say, I'm just too familiar with KDE to give it up, heh. It's also very familiar for anyone that's used file sharing in Windows since it's just smb://theUNCpath instead off \\theUNCpath :) Admittedly kdebase isn't a terribly small package, but "sudo yum install kdebase" was nearly the first thing I typed when I booted up this AA1 for the first time :)

Also SFTP is probably a better method of sharing, especially if one is running Linux machines already, I've always found it performed faster (and with less setup hassle!) than Windows/Samba sharing. And that's just sftp://hostname (or ip address works, but that's so undignified ;) )

I'd like to help, but outside of KDE my expertise starts to seriously wane :D

But hmm.

Hyperjoe: not being able to paste or copy with the terminal sounds like you're using xterm. Try instead running "terminal" (hell, you can even run that from xterm, haha), I believe it's an xfce-native terminal emulator and although it isn't as nice and tiny as xterm it's more modern (like, you can cut and paste :D )

Hmm also maybe it's the bzip layer that's the problem? Try installing bzip2, maybe you don't have that installed? (yum install bzip2)

Hope some of that helps!

Phil_Urich, Sep 5, 2008
  5. benz4417

sbessel

How can I (easily) make these mounts persistent?

I would like them appear again once I reconnect to my home network.

Scott

sbessel, Sep 6, 2008
  6. benz4417

jonjmorrison

Thanks Phil, Konqueror works a treat for me, exactly what I was after!

jonjmorrison, Sep 6, 2008
  7. benz4417

allanbach

First Post
    First Time with Linux
    Acer One (110)for 1 week

Tried everything to connect to a NAS on my wireless router, from terminal mount commands, installing pyNeighborhood and Smb4K. The last two could see the drive but refused to mount.
    Nearly went back to windows :evil: but the reason I got the AAO was to learn a bit about Linux :roll: .

Any how after several days googling found this
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ry-443693/

Essentially run this from the Root and hey presto mounts and I can now stream divx anywhere around the house.

Code:
    echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled
    Took me 2 days - about 2-3 hours a day, installed 2 apps 1 via terminal and 1 via advanced settings, and nearly killed my kids with the aggravation it was causing me. Compared to XP - about 30 seconds , START->RUN-> //Storage/ and off you go.
    This Linux stuff isn't particularly user friendly! I guess you have to have a hobby.....

allanbach, Sep 7, 2008
  8. benz4417

Phil_Urich

Well, part of it is that it's Windows sharing that's the issue here . . . something like SSH (or, for sharing I guess SFTP then) is more like 30s to get going even on the rather stripped-down Linux install that the AA1 runs :) and of course the stripped-down nature of this netbook is a large part of it. As I mentioned a few posts above, something more along with the full-desktop-environment side of things and these sorts of bits are just as easy in Linux; with KDE's Konqueror it's just smb://Storage/ instead of \\Storage\ :)

The other thing of course is that Linux tends to have a million different ways to do things, which is awesome in terms of choice but admittedly a bit intimidating to new users, and sometimes makes it a bit hard to find the precise style of solution one is looking for.

But personally I also like hobbies :)

Speaking of, for anyone out there with another Linux machine (or a properly set up OSX machine...I don't know what the current state of default X11 support is in 10.5), try X forwarding over SSH! For the AA1 it's "yum install openssh-clients" to get the client, then "ssh -X username@computername" (or @IP-address) and you have a terminal session now running to your other computer...but the fun part starts when you run a GUI program from that terminal :) Now you're got some program looking and acting like it's another program running on your AA1 but it's actually being powered by your other computer!

Sorry for the random tangent there but I figured it's appropriate in this thread, and personally I can't figure out how I survived before X-forwarding over SSH, it's one of the reasons it pains me whenever I have to sit down at Windows boxes these days :twisted:

Phil_Urich, Sep 7, 2008
  9. benz4417

LordGenome

Thanks for the great guide. Everything seemed to work except the last command. I couldn't run pyNeighborhood (command not found). Are there any checks I can do to see where it went? Thanks

LordGenome, Sep 21, 2008
  10. benz4417

jimmydean

I can't seem to mount either. Log says

Domain=[STUFF] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/local/share/pyNeighborhood/src/options.py", line 63, in enable_smb_toggle
    if self.cifs_check_button.get_active() == False:
    AttributeError: OptionsDialog instance has no attribute 'cifs_check_button'

Any ideas? Seemed to build and run fine and it sees the drives when browse, but fails to mount.

jimmydean, Sep 26, 2008
  11. benz4417

Kitism

Hi all,

I've tried the instructions on the first page and I've actually run into some problems.

Firstly, I followed the instructions up to the 'make install' section of the tutorial. I'm not very experienced with linux, however I'm quite good with computers so I'm able to find my way around. Anyway, it gave me the an Error 127, that 'make install', the command, is nonexistent. I googled the problem, and tried to install the 'make' package again, however it wouldn't reinstall since it had nothing to reinstall, really. I tried to repair it using the Add/Remove programs utility, however that gave me an error as well.

I cannot delete the files that have been created by extracting the files, I think it has something to do with me having compiled it etc.

The ./configure step and the make step in front of the 'make install' command worked fine, however it's the 'make install' part of the tutorial that is really stumping me.

If anyone could help me, that'd be great- and also help me to delete those folders. Damn Acer, how can you NOT integrate network browsing into your netbook.

I got it today, and it's sad to have stuffed something up already.

:(

Chris

EDIT: I've taken a screenshot of what terminal reads when I try to do those three steps, it is attached.

Kitism, Sep 27, 2008
  12. benz4417

joseerj

@ Fabien:

THANK YOU very much for your guide!

I've bought the AAO 3 days ago and since then, i've tryed to install pyNeighborhood... never before i've seen linux, so I do not know that terminal was Upper and lower case sensitive! Damm "D"ownload folder! hahahaha

Everything is working fine now, and the idea to put winXP in my AAO are dead!

PS: sorry for my english, i'm from Paraguay :)

joseerj, Sep 29, 2008
  13. benz4417

eks

I've been accessing and sharing data between a Ubuntu desktop and a Ubuntu laptop this way, but on Gnome with Nautilus. Just typing sftp://theotherip and login account and that's it. But I've been trying to find a way to do that with Thunar on the AAO but could not find a way. Isn't there a sftp package that could add support for Thunar?

Or do I really have to install Konqueror or Nautilus to have sftp?

If so, is there another native file manager for xfce that supports sftp?

eks

eks, Oct 1, 2008
  14. benz4417

eks

Ok, so doing some Googling on my own I've found there's no network support for Thunar yet:

http://readlist.com/lists/xfce.org/xfce/1/5614.html

Unless you mount by yourself a network device, like it's being discussed here. And Gentoo has another nice tutorial that might help those needing to access their Windows files.

I have not tried yet to access the AAO FROM the Ubuntu desktop, which I will try when I get home. But if SSH is installed, I think it should be quite straightforward, right?

It seems the previous file manager for xfce, which had network support, was changed for Thunar. I don't get it how they can just scrap such a vital functionality on a file manager on the age of the tubes. I will try to install Nautilus or Konqueror also...

eks

eks, Oct 1, 2008
  15. benz4417

eks

Why can't I find Konqueror on the package manager?

And if I try to install Nautilus I have this kind of problem:
    Any ideas?

eks

eks, Oct 2, 2008
  16. benz4417

RockDoctor

Acer's customizations conflict with some of the standard Fedora packages. Not too surprising. In some cases, the AA1's versions of packages are (or at least appear to be) newer than what you'll find in the Fedora repositories. You'll either have to manually remove the whole offending package before installing Nautilus, or download the Nautilus rpm file(s) and install manually, overwriting (just) the offending files.

RockDoctor, Oct 2, 2008
  17. benz4417

Fulgence

Thanks to all for the guide and all the interesting informations found in this thread.

Here is my problem :

pyNeighborhood is correctly installed onto my AA1.

The name of my Windows Vista desktop computer is Germaine2, IP of my router is 192.168.1.1, name of the folder on my desktop computer wich is shared is C:\EMUL

My mount folder on the AA1 is located in /home/user/lan

What informations should I enter in pyNeighborhood when I try to add a machine ?

[​IMG]

Because whatever the informations I enter in this box, I can't get pyNeighborhood to scan and mount my shared folder...

If you have any ideas, thanks to help a Linux newbie :cool:

Fulgence, Oct 3, 2008
  18. benz4417

joseerj

You sould look the IP of the "Germaine2" machine, and put it on the box, then you click on "retrieve missing information" y that will be fine.

Or you can put "Germaine2" in the "Network Name" box, an then press "retrieve missing information" as well.

the IP of the router are not necessary.

joseerj, Oct 3, 2008
  19. benz4417

joseerj

Perhaps you should try if the "Germaine2" computer are beign shared, and if you AAO are correctly connected to the network...

joseerj, Oct 3, 2008
  20. benz4417

joseerj

As Rockdoctor says...

here are some procedures to change other packages in conflict, you can use as guide (I don't know if will work, you have to try)

see the #3:

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/depe ... e-one.html

joseerj, Oct 3, 2008
Ask a Question