Wiped out my back-up os, how do I get another?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by hispoiema, Mar 8, 2014.

1. hispoiema

hispoiema

I have a HP pavilion DV7 and it used to have a backup os on the D drive until I deleted it. Oops! :eek:
    I had redone my os (sorry, I don't recall the proper jargon) at one point because of problems my computer was having. I went to do it again, and could not recall how. As a result I ended up deleting it.

If anyone is wondering, yes, I am female; and yes, I am a natural blonde. :rolleyes:

So, what would be the easiest and cheapest way to replace it? I'd prefer a disk, as that would be a bit harder for me to mess up!:p

hispoiema, Mar 8, 2014
  2. hispoiema

something back

Hi

What operating systems did you have.

What operating system do you want to install.

Are you sure the harddrive will not work “broken” and needs replacing it may only require
    re-formating.

Have you any recovery dvd,s

It happens to the best of us you are not alone. You said you deleted both the d drive and harddrive ,How did you delete the drive. The most Important thing are you sure the hidden partition has not been deleted I'll explain.

A NEW COMPUTER comes with a recovery section on the harddrive and its possible
    to recover everything from it back to factory settings.

If you have not destroyed the harddrive then download this program here's a link
    it will look at the harddrive let me know what is reports.

http://www.freewarefiles.com/search.php?query=fdisk&B1.x=0&B1.y=0&boolean=exact

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/AOMEI-Partition-Assistant-Home-Edition/1283497772/1

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    something back, Mar 9, 2014
  3. hispoiema

something back

4. hispoiema

something back

5. hispoiema

OhioTom76

If there was a partition on your hard drive to restore your computer to factory settings, and you accidentally deleted it somehow, you could possibly try downloading another copy of Windows and installing it with the serial number printed on the outside of your computer. DigitalRiver offers official downloads of Windows and other Microsoft products, you just need a legitimate serial number to activate them. You'll just need to download the files on another computer to a DVD or USB stick, then plug it into your computer, and it should try and boot from one of them first and take you into the installation process. If not, try and get into the BIOS by following the instructions on your screen when booting up, to change the startup order of your drives.

One thing to look out for though when trying to activate it, is to make sure the serial number shown on your screen matches the serial number on your computer. Some computer manufacturers will embed their own multi-volume serial number in your system that Windows might detect instead and it will likely fail activation. If this happens you need to replace the serial with the one on your computer case and try again and it should activate.

You also need to make sure you download the exact type of Windows your computer came with, so if it came with Vista 32 bit don't download Windows 7 64 bit, for example.

OhioTom76, Mar 9, 2014
    Brian8gbSSDLinux likes this.
  6. hispoiema

hispoiema

Sorry I have not been around the last few days. I still need to look at these properly. All I know is that Windows 7 OS was located on a partition of the D drive, and it is no longer there. I still have my OS that I am using, (Windows 7 64 bit) I just always have the thought in the back of my mind to have a fresh copy available to reinstall if need be. I back all my important stuff up on my thumb drive, so I could reinstall at any time if I felt the need. Thanks so much for all the replies. They are greatly appreciated!

hispoiema, Mar 11, 2014
  7. hispoiema

hispoiema

I will have to reread these posts when I have time to figure out which ones apply to my situation. Maybe this will be easier than I realize. I have no disk, but I do have teh Microsoft sticker. A head cold and exhaustion is keeping me from investigating more at the moment, But again, the concern and offers to help is greatly appreciated.

hispoiema, Mar 11, 2014
Ask a Question