Downsides to Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by useruser, Apr 13, 2014.

1. useruser

useruser

Hi, I'm considering switching to Linux. I would like to know some of the downsides to the platform. I know the obvious downsides like software compatibility issues but I want to hear about some other downsides. Is it a good idea to switch from Win7 now ?

useruser, Apr 13, 2014
  2. useruser

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Why not try it AND KEEP WINDOWS...

I can recommend Linux Lite 1.0.8 and Lubuntu 13.04 - the 32 bit versions are less than 800Mb and look a lot like windows... so the learning curve is quicker.

There is the opportunity to 'build' a LIVE version on either CD or 2Gb Pendrive (USB STICK)
    Advantage of a Live CD/Pendrive... remove the Disk/Pendrive and you are back to Windows on next start
    Disadvantage(s) - CANNOT save files or if you install a different Browser - it is NOT THERE next time you boot up...
    If you THEN INSTALL Linux... after 'testing' Linux... Things WILL install permanently and Files CAN be saved.
    - or -
    Using WUBI one can install Linux WHILE RUNNING WINDOWS - it Installs Linux into a FOLDER (usually on the C: Drive) - it also installs a Boot loader which gives you the choice Linux or Windows when you start your computer.
    Advantage of using WUBI - Runs normally, files can be saved and installed programs stay put... IF you want to remove Linux... Start in Windows and go to Add/Remove Programs and just uninstall Linux.
    Disadvantages... none that I can think of...

IF you need further info about building a Live version of Linux... PM me thru' Conversations the subject is too big for in this thread...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Apr 16, 2014
  3. useruser

mmmaske

Lite? Why not Ubuntu?

As someone who recently migrated, I found that Ubuntu was the easiest to get into. I have several hard drives though, so I dual boot a lot. One problem I encountered was mounting hard drives. My ubuntu installation couldn't initally read my NTFS drive. I later found out about NTFS-FIX or FIXNTFS (something like that) and that got it to mount just fine :rolleyes:

mmmaske, May 15, 2014
  4. useruser

Oogles

I installed Ubuntu on an old desktop of mine and the only reason I didn't keep it was because it was too much work for me to have to re-learn and download some programs that was needed to run games that were made for Windows. Other than that I found Linux to be a great OS it had it's own tools for pretty much everything. It also looked pretty nice.

Oogles, May 15, 2014
  5. useruser

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Lite? Why not Ubuntu? You asked...
    I have run all the Ubuntu's since 8.xx and it is getting bigger and bigger and it is confusing for beginners... especially since they put that dock (Unity) up the side

Lite for 32 bit computers is only 700Mb (fits on a CD or a 1 Gb Pendrive though 2 GB and adding a 'Persistence folder (Casper) will keep your changes - only on a Pendrive !)

It LOOKs like XP...
    Most everything on the Desktop is in the 'normal place' there is very little for the Linux beginner to HAVE to learned...

My WIFE is using it - with out really realizing it is 'different' apart from an odd grumble or two about having to type in the 'Keyring' when she runs Chrome Browser (which is a bit like the Win 7 thing where the screen goes black and you get asked ' do you REALLY want to run this program'... (well, you know what I mean).

Adding WINE (to run Windows programs is built in...
    Just remember to go to 'Uninstall programs" Yes really! Install is in the TOP right of THAT window... Navigate to the Windows .exe folder and double click it... and it installs (asking for Serials and Product Numbers where required) JUST LIKE Windows...
    The Windows Programs can be accessed, from Wine > Programs

Brian8gbSSDLinux, May 16, 2014
    GearZ likes this.
  6. useruser

LaMar

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 in my Acer AO1D257 and everything worked from the start.
    Heck even the finger pad worked where it did not in Win7.

LaMar, Jun 2, 2014
  7. useruser

something back

I have found some of the newer linux "OS" find all of the drivers without problems, even odd ball printers I own.

Need to run games that were made for Windows WELL YOU CAN ON SOME LINUX SYSTEMS.

I don't wish to learn a new system that's why I only dip a toe into linux though.

something back, Jun 2, 2014
  8. useruser

Eliminator

I switched to Ubuntu and now I will never be able to go back, that said, I have 2 computers, one with Windows 8 and one with Ubuntu.

I use my windows 8 for gaming, most windows games will not work that well on Linux.

Eliminator, May 17, 2015
  9. useruser

something back

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    something back, May 17, 2015
  10. useruser

superbobby

Would installing Linux together with Windows slow down my laptop? I need to know thank you!

superbobby, May 29, 2015
  11. useruser

Eliminator

Not if you have a big hard drive and partition it.

Eliminator, May 30, 2015
  12. useruser

superbobby

Thanks for replying. I think my hard drive is big enough.

superbobby, Jun 1, 2015
  13. useruser

ProNine

I think one of the main downside to Linux is that it does not have much support in terms of software. However, this is somewhat fixed through the WINE program which adds compatibility to Windows programs.

ProNine, Dec 26, 2015
  14. useruser

nytegeek

There is a massive amount of good and free software for Linux. Most of what needs to be done can be accomplished with native software titles.

nytegeek, Dec 31, 2015
  15. useruser

StaplerAshtray

If you do want to make the switch and never messed around with a Linux environment before, I would reccommend Ubuntu for it's user-friendly interface and massive community support. You can basically find a solution to any problem by googling "your problem + ubuntu". Aside from software compatibility issues, Linux based operating systems are supposed to be aimed at more technical users although Ubuntu is trying (and succeeding in my opinion) to bridge that gap.
    If you're afraid of switching, you can always just try a Live version of the operating system by burning it to a CD and booting off it or even just creating a bootable USB drive (which is a lot more practical). If you end up liking it but don't want to make a full switch, why not install it along-side with Windows and dual-boot? You can find plenty of guides on the internet to do it simply and you'd have the best of both worlds!

StaplerAshtray, Feb 11, 2016
    ProNine and IcyBC like this.
  16. useruser

IcyBC

I found this very helpful as my HP laptop is currently getting fixed with dual boot. I am a bit nervous about not knowing how to work everything but I am willing to learn and give it a shot. I consider my laptop dead last year, but if I can have this experience, it is worth it

IcyBC, Feb 12, 2016
  17. useruser

ProNine

Not only that, but also because it has the most support when it comes to any problems that you may face during your experience. Another upside to it is that it's not completely terminal based and many functions can be used through a GUI.

ProNine, Feb 25, 2016
  18. useruser

SirJoe

The good thing about Linux is that you don't have to choose one operating system over the other, you can easily have both installed on your computer.

SirJoe, Feb 25, 2016
  19. useruser

fcuco

Just to be clear, the lack of "software compatibility" is not a problem of Linux just like the fact that you can't run OSX software on Windows is not a downside of running Windows, it all depends on your particular software needs, if you run a critical program that has no alternatives or ports in Linux then you can't make the switch (Just as you could not switch to Mac for that matter).

Also you may also face some trouble if you use some kind of obscure old specific hardware for which you can't find the proper drivers.

This is the answer. Try a live a CD, give it a spin on your hardware, see if everything works fine first.

fcuco, Mar 20, 2016
  20. useruser

SirJoe

Linux is great, how many operating systems do you know that you can run a fully functional version of a cd or pen. There are so many versions out there anyone can find a version that will cater for their needs.

SirJoe, Mar 22, 2016
Ask a Question