ZTE modems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Japser, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Japser

Japser

There is an australian user forum, apparently run by ZTE itself: http://www.zte.com.au/ztebb2/
    You have to register to see anything, but I saw some interesting information, for instance how to permanently disable the cdrom stage in these things. --Japser.

Japser, Oct 26, 2008
  2. Japser

Japser

Re: ZTE modems: how to disable the cdrom permanently

Tested on a ZTE MF628:

Using information from the link above I found it is possible to tell the modem to never present itself as a cdrom any more.
    The catch is that you have to have access to the modem in the first place to do this.
    Anyway, if you have managed to be able to communicate with the modem ( /dev/ttyUSB0 .. /dev/ttyUSB2 exist ) then the command is this:

Code:
    sudo echo at+zcdrun=8 > /dev/ttyUSB2
    Change 8 to 9 and you can get your cdrom back ......

This assumes that /dev/ttyUSB2 is the control-channel. If you want to see more of what is happening then you can use minicom ( looks like what telix was in the past ).

One more note: users of newer kernels have a new problem: these kernels ignore the ( cdrom- ) device, with good intentions, but the problem is that then 'ejecting' does not work any more, the device stays inaccessible!
    I solved this by doing the above trick on another machine with an older kernel.

----Japser.

Japser, Dec 6, 2008
  3. Japser

alex.gemaraz

japser, thx for share info but unfortunately I cannot register --- perhaps my email is rejected because not using address of australia. Not very sure --- maybe I need to create new free one hosting in australia ;)

Thx anyway and let me try again

alex.gemaraz, Feb 27, 2009
  4. Japser

wher2guv

Hi I have just successfully got my Three UK 3G ZTE MF622 USB modem to work with the help of the forum.

You need wvdial normally installed already
    and GnomePPP this is in the installer and needs installed.

Type in the following exactly;

sudo mousepad /etc/wvdial.conf

press return
    for UK 3 settings remove all the existing text and copy this information in;

[Dialer defaults]

Init2 = ATZ
    Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    Stupid Mode = 1
    Modem Type = Analog Modem
    ISDN = 0
    Phone = *99\#
    Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
    username = three
    Password = three
    Dial Command = ATDT
    Baud =466600
    Init4 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","three.co.uk"

then

Now open Gnome-PPP by right-clicking your desktop and choosing the Run Program option.

Type in to here sudo Gnome-PPP and press enter

click set up

In the modems tab;

change device to /Dev/ttyUSB0

click phone numbers and enter the phone number *99/# NOTE you need to click the second phone number box for Gnome-ppp to save the number. this also stands for the INIT strings.

Close that box.

Click INIT Strings

Copy the information from your Wvdial.conf file in to each line for the relevant init string.

For example in my gnome-ppp the boxes read as follows

Init 2 ATZ
    Init 3 ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    Init 4 AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","three.co.uk"

Remember to click out of box 4 and close that window.

If 'wait for dial tone' box is checked, uncheck it.

Open the options tab

check the top two boxes for minimize and dock in notification area.

Uncheck everything except for the following which should remain checked.

Auto Reconnect
    Check Default Route
    Ignore Terminal Strings (Stupid Mode)

int the network tab

Enter the following in the DNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Close the setup window.

for three use the user name 'three'
    and for a password 'three'
    enter the phone number *99\# (evidently it doesn't matter which direction the slash goes in as mine as both different and it still works)

Click to remember password.

Restart your one with your modem connected before boot.

When your desktop starts up, open the run program command, Gnome-ppp should still be in the box, press return. If it isn't just retype 'sudo gnome-ppp'.

Press return again when the gnome dialer appears.

Thanks to
    tomrowley20287 for this

Now plug in the modem when the storage window opens eject the storage drive

click connect and I'm using mine now to post this.

Mark

wher2guv, Apr 17, 2009
  5. Japser

kernowmajor

ZTE MF627 USB Modem – installation problems
    I followed the clear instructions for the UK 3G ZTE MF622 USB modem in the hope that they might be able to get my UK 3G ZTE MF627 USB modem to work – sadly it did not work. I suspect that it is something to do with the settings. Sometimes it detects the modem but fails because of string errors then at other times it fails to detect the modem. Has anyone any advice they can give on finding what the correct settings might be for the MF627 modem?

kernowmajor, May 17, 2009
  6. Japser

k2sab

Hi

Got my FREE dongle from 3 at http://www.3dongle4free.co.uk

It's a ZTE MF627. No joy yet in making it work on my AA1 (linpus). Any help would be very much appreciated.

k2sab, May 20, 2009
  7. Japser

allwork

You've probably solved this problem by now but I too had trouble with my ZTE MF627 from three UK. I eventually got it to work by (of course!) unpacking the linux software on the automount CD drive, running the install.sh script in terminal then closing the application, unplugging the stick, plugging it back in again and running the app (from network->3UK).

Hope that helps!

allwork, May 20, 2009
  8. Japser

junk1e

Thanks for pointing out that the install.sh script should be run from the terminal - all works perfectly.

junk1e, May 22, 2009
  9. Japser

celticgriffin

Please forgive a total Linux noob but I am still struggling to get the MF627 to be recognised. How do I run the install.sh in terminal window ? I have the file and can open terminal but don't know how to point terminal at install.sh if you know what I mean.

celticgriffin, May 23, 2009
  10. Japser

Guest Guest

To get the ZTE MF627 working this is what i did
    unpack the files to downloads open terminal in the downloads TYPE sudo[spacebar]./install.sh with the mf627 plugged into a usb port and follow the instructions
    you will then have 3guk in the NETWORK section of Xfce Menu

mike46

Guest, Jun 3, 2009
  11. Japser

Matias Mom

Hi got my ZTE MF627 working connected (according to the 3 software) using the instructions above thank you. However I can cannot connect to the internet in firefox. Any suggestions please.

Matias Mom, Jun 21, 2009
  12. Japser

Guest Guest

have you turned the wireless off the switch on the front of the machine i would guess you then click on the firefox icon on desktop or in the xfce menu network
    i havent actually connected as i have not put a topup on the three sim card i think maybe you have to connect to my3 and register the sim card

mike46

Guest, Jun 21, 2009
  13. Japser

Toh-Maag

It is interesting to note that the installation re-writes wvdial.conf and it is markedly different from the one given above for the gnome-ppp installation. This might explain why I couldn't get that to work.

Toh-Maag, Nov 3, 2009
  14. Japser

PamD

I am an American living in Mexico. Please no Spanish. After 4 years in Mexico, I still haven't learned very much.

I have ZTE MF622 for over a year with no problem. I can't get a new Aluratek 3G USB/PMCIA router with or without the ZTE attached to be seen at all by a new Acer AO761. Also the DVD drive I bought for the Acer was recognized the first time I used it and now the Acer can't see it.

Any suggestions other than returning the Acer and the router?

PamD, Nov 13, 2009
  15. Japser

wynhopkins

Mike - many thanks for your information.
    I have contacted 3UK, Linpus and ZTE - they all advised that there was no Linpus support for this product.
    I was considering buying a new dongle!!

wynhopkins, Nov 15, 2009
  16. Japser

uzi

Re: ZTE MF110

I have problems getting my USB stick MF110 working on my A110.
    It is recognized as MF626 3G modem according to lsusb.
    It uses ttyUSB0,1 and 2. I can communicate with it and issue AT commands via ttyUSB1.
    I have turned off CD mode via the commend mentioned here. The device also has an MMC card reader installed, that is attached as scsi device.
    I've also configured wvdial, I can also initiate dialing.
    Here comes the problem:
    I get connected, but after pppd starts I get no IP, just the error message after 30 secs:
    The PPP daemon has died: A modem hung up the phone (exit code = 16)
    (after that I'm not able to send any command to the moden, have to unplug-replug)

Has anyone got this stick working with Linpus? I'm trying to connent on Vodafone Germany net

Many thanks

SOLVED: after many hours of searching a trying I set the port to ttyUSB2 instead of USB1 and everything started working. I've read somewhere that that are 2 active modem ports, but one is only for status check and simple commands, and I was trying to use that one with pppd :oops:

uzi, Dec 19, 2009
Ask a Question