ZIF Reverse Flex Cable

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by scooby21, Jul 26, 2008.

1. scooby21

scooby21

Hi There,

Self intro abit .. I am from SGP, one who had just brought an AAO and stripped it apart the very next day ..

The reason for creating this TOPIC is mainly to provide help to the rest of AAO's owners who want to mod the CF way. I have brought a min of 10x reverse ZIF flex cable from Ebay. I would just need a couple of them so for those who are interested, please drop me an email with your contact so I can sell off some of these flex cable to you guys out there .. $16 USD for 10x so just divide accordingly and let me know how many you may need?

Cheers!

After reading through so much about slow SSD, CF and 1.8" HDD conversion .. I am set to mod my AAO further with the CF option. I have done much mod to my AAO and interestingly there's no more holding back for me. There's always urge of modding more to meet my expectations! Thinking back, CF is the last critical mod I should carry out and come to think abt it, it's still more worth than to get the HP mini-note. AAO is a much nicer UMPC and it has an ATOM 1.6 CPU onboard, 3 x USBs, 1 dedicated SD slot and 1 multi-flashcard.

My personal mod so far :
    (1) Max out of RAM (1.5 GB)
    (2) Integrated my used v1.1 Bluetooth dongle into the AAO, Desoldered the USB port, jump the solder points to one of the USB port's PCB. With that, I am now able to use my new Logitech Bluetooth Laser Mouse.
    (3) Running win XP without any prob other than the occasional stalling of OS and absence of WIFI LED.

scooby21, Jul 26, 2008
  2. scooby21

rory

Hi,
    I did the same as you, got my One on Wednesday, and Took it apart Thursday morning.
    I might well need one of those cables, but im guessing you're in the Us where as I'm in the UK, so I might as well buy my own ones.
    I'm also interested to hear why people are going for the CF to ZIF and then obviously a CF card over a standard ZIF drive. Are teh CF cards faster than the ZIF drives? Obviously theyre shock proof unlikc HDD's, but I doubt I will be in a situation where that matters.
    And the largest CF card that I could afford was I think 16GB and it was only 133x not 300x.
    But for less than that I can get a 60GB ZIF drive. And that isn't even factoring in the CF to ZIF adapter. (Although I am probably going to buy on of those anyway to get the cables for the ZIF drive.
    So far, I've done this:
    Opened it up and put it all back together again with no problems 4 times. (but tonight, lost 2 screws) And this is the first laptop I have ever taken apart, I take apart PC's for fun :)
    Plus I've installed Vista which was cut down with vLite, and got everything working...
    Added a Gig of RAM, second time lucky...
    What I plan to do:
    Add either a 60GB or an 80GB ZIF drive
    Add a touchscreen; I'm too used to my HTC Athena, which has a massive screen and Windows Mobile with uch controlled opera 9.5, so im often trying to scroll web pages using the screen lol. Plus, I've now got used to my iPhone's touch browser too. :)
    Try and add extra internal usb headers to integrate bluetooth and maybe a 16GB USB stick or something. I'll have to sharpen up my soldering beforehand though, haven't soldered since year 9, 4 years ago. But the solering guide that KING linked to (I think) on the EEE forums is excellent, and I may well use that to sharpen up.
    Rory

rory, Jul 26, 2008
  3. scooby21

scooby21

hi Rory,

I can truely understand that kind of tough consideration btw CF and ZIF HDD. Seriously thought of that too and I will just pay abit more for a 8GB 266x CF at least for this coz (1) HDD may suck up too much power as compared to CF, (2) HDD more prone to failure if you are treating this little gadget a little more rougher than your usual handling of a typical laptop (3) Read/write for ZIF HDD is only at 20/20MBps if I din get the online info wrong. (4) Of course CF requires a less degree of chassis mod on AAO.

For your re-consideration =)

Cheers!

Btw, I am from Singapore (Asia) .. Nice to have you onboard and felt great that we actually did the same thing of taking AAO apart upon getting it!

scooby21, Jul 27, 2008
  4. scooby21

grabejud

hello scooby21, can you pm me your hp, im from sgp also but currentlt overseas, id like to 2 of your reverse zif cable hopefully by mid august, i should be back by then.
    the zif-cf was my first choice of mod, but since i lack time to wait for the cable, i use zif hdd instead
    my adapter will then be use for my ipod which i took the hdd from

grabejud, Jul 27, 2008
  5. scooby21

yummy

if you already have the zif to cf adapter, you can just bend your standard zif cable tip to work with the adapter.

yummy, Aug 1, 2008
  6. scooby21

dean

Hi Scobby21, I'm from Sg too...I would like to get the zif-cf reverse flex cable and love to see the improvement you mod. Will PM you... :D
    Dean

dean, Aug 6, 2008
  7. scooby21

scooby21

Sure, I have successful mod the AAO with the following config :

(1) Transcend 300x 8GB CF + CF-ZIF Adapter + Reverse ZIF Flex Cable + Importantly the orginal filter on he SSD.
    (2) My old Bluetooth dongle v1.1
    (3) winXP Home with McAfee Internet Security

Everything work just as great as my the other laptop.

Cheers!

scooby21, Aug 6, 2008
  8. scooby21

guozz1

Hi there, i'm also from singapore.
    Would u mind telling me where u got your CF to ZIF adapter from? ;)
    And where to get the best deals for CF cards?
    Thanks in advance.

guozz1, Aug 6, 2008
  9. scooby21

grabejud

you can find one at simlim. 6th level IT Image
    but it aint cheap, compared to where scooby got his cf adapter..
    and they dont have the zif reverse cable, just an ordinary zif cable.

grabejud, Aug 9, 2008
Ask a Question