Your opinion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kei, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Kei

Kei

Well i will probably do this regardless of the responses but rally my wet dreams of gaming please....

anyways i have a Compaq R3000 and an HP Pavillion zv5000 and guess what there exactly the same...same ram proc igp all and its not a bad thing thank god

so it is a Pentium 4 2.8ghz (love that avatar....)
    Radeon 9000-9100IGP i have 64mb allocated i figured no reason to go any higher
    448mb ram with one 512 stick

so what kind of performance increase would i expect with a 1gb ram upgrade to 1.5gb i know anything other then games would get great results and i believe i would remove a heavy bottleneck in the gaming department what do you think?

Kei, Oct 30, 2008
  2. Kei

the100thmonkey

Won't that cause your RAM to run in single channel mode, effectively halving the available memory bandwidth?

the100thmonkey, Oct 30, 2008
  3. Kei

Kei

ok can you explain what single channel and dual channel modes are? i read something on here about that for the first time i have never heard it before what is it

so should i remove the 512 stick and replace it with one 1gb stick?

Kei, Oct 30, 2008
  4. Kei

nmesisca

assuming the laptop supports dual channel (which is NOT the case on most laptops) then yeah 1.5GB will disable that.
    Moreover, I believe that dual channel requires modules installed in pairs, which in your case means..no dual channel.

nmesisca, Oct 30, 2008
  5. Kei

Kei

il visit wikipedia later.....so a definitive anwser please? and i believe it is 2 256 modules one located under the keyboard and one in the bottom slot this is the same on both of them...so the upgrade would be 1.248mb

Kei, Oct 30, 2008
  6. Kei

nmesisca

you need to search a bit on google for your specific laptops. depends on manufacturer.
    from my experience, 70% chances that it does not support Dual channel in any case.

besides that, i wouldnt be concerned with dual channel on a laptop, especially on an older one. and, I sure wouldnt give away 256MB ram for that.

nmesisca, Oct 30, 2008
  7. Kei

nmesisca

forgot to say that in any case the ram soldered on the laptops mobo is part of a channel and as such, if the chipset supports DC, you could most likely get it only installing and equally sized SODIMM in the exp. slot.. so.. 256+256=not good..DC or not..

nmesisca, Oct 30, 2008
  8. Kei

Kei

Ok just for clarification i listed the laptop above and all i really need is 1gb of ram and if i can have it 1.5 i have no need for ram above that size so should it not just work fine if i buy the right ram type for the pc and leave the 256 under the keyboard and install the 1gb in the slot under the laptop or should remove the 256 and have only 1gb in total?

you guys are confusing me a bit here :? iv never had to do research on ram....other then getting the right model and so on

a bit of googling...HP Pavilion zv5000 series laptops can be a mystery on upgrading RAM, but not any more. HP Pavilion zv5000 series laptops take DDR RAM not DDR2 RAM. You should use PC2700 333MHz Memory chips, the board will accept 400MHz but it will not make use of the extra MHz. HP Pavilion zv5000 series laptops can handle to 2 Chips of 1 GB each of RAM.

the laptop's are the same i will be using the ram upgrade in the HP until i fix the AC socket in the compaq and move the HP's HDD to the compaq and rig it all up as a desktop game system

do this is what i need right?-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145068

Kei, Oct 30, 2008
Ask a Question