Yet another tablet project.. need a hand

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by rentsdue, Mar 14, 2010.

1. rentsdue

rentsdue

Hello!!
    Glad to be a member of the forums.. Long story short: modding a D250 into a touch-screen tablet. Touch-screen is on order.. I flipped the screen around and it looks like this will go off without a hitch. I am having some difficulties locating the physical hinge actuators that induce sleep when the lid is closed.. The system is running 10.5 atm which i realize may have to change to get the most of the new screen. I want to disable the sleep on close from a hardware standpoint. Have searched high an low, even scouring through the official schematics with no luck. Has anyone had any experience with this issue? I will post up some picks..
    Thanks in advance everyone.

rentsdue, Mar 14, 2010
  2. rentsdue

rentsdue

Figured I would post some pics up.. back to the screen issue at hand, I will post up a solution if nobody beat me to it.. anyone. plz?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry bout the low quality pics.. I'll try to post some better ones

rentsdue, Mar 14, 2010
  3. rentsdue

wacintoshinux

i think that the lid sensor that triggers sleep is actually a magnet-triggered mechanism somewhere along the top edge of the lid (with a corresponding location on the lower part of the top bezel, either to the left or right of the trackpad. i know mac laptops work(ed) this way; i'm pretty sure the aa1 does as well.

you can test by slowly running a very weak magnet along the edge of the netbook, and see if it triggers sleep mode. i wish the bios was less restricted; we'd be able to disable the sensor and action without hardware mods.

wacintoshinux, Mar 16, 2010
  4. rentsdue

rentsdue

Thanks for the quick reply, i'm kicking myself for looking at the hinge, I had read something about next to the mousepad but just didn't put two and two together :oops:

I will post up the specifics with what I find. My hope is to pull together some sort of a tutorial outlining stuff in the even that this is a success..

:)

If I brick the whole thing it becomes a new server accessible via ssh terminal.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks again all

rentsdue, Mar 16, 2010
  5. rentsdue

rentsdue

TYTYTY for the advise! :D :D :D

a disclaimer: I am going at this from an effectively running osx touchscreen style tit. I must give props to the osx/apple guys for doing such cool things to a unix base that plopping down the $130 for a licensed disk is a no-brainier. My primary setup osx86 is not the aa1 but an msi wind u100, so I come at this from the from the newly renovated and cool spot for all things msi: http://www.insanelywind.com/forum/ (ty dalton, mars, mitsu, + too many) a good spot esp for bootloader/kext info.

So I tell a friend, so no problem a wifi card and stick of ram away... The issues began with the attempted rerunning of stock wifi antenna. New PCI in.. messy antenna rerun.. and.. no screen (I had dropped the whole mess by accident and figured motherboard too just to top it off). So with a totally bricked as I knew system I figured I would go through the motions of my dream mod, reverse murphy kicks in and as soon as the screen is flipped and all is lost everything fires up like clockwork :roll: :lol: :oops:

Ran a low magnet around... nothing to the front of the unit. Hit right over the power button. sensor lives right on that power button somewhere, I feel obligated to find out exactly where.. however physically moving the switch (a necessity anyway) outside the case solves it.

This has been the funnest mod ever IMO and I would be very happy to put an informal tutorial together assuming i get it. I am probably double posting and someone has very much beat me too it a long time ago, but if anyone is interested give a holler.

some updated pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rentsdue, Mar 18, 2010
Ask a Question