XP on original Linux AspireOne - no Left SD at all. :(

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by TheLarrikin, Jan 16, 2009.

1. TheLarrikin

TheLarrikin

I've been looking all over the web (and I may have read this entire site) for an answer to this very frustrating situation.

I purchased my Aspire One with an 8GB SSD with the intention of putting XP on it. I managed to slipstream in SP3 and drivers, and slim it down to about 2.5GB. I have an 8GB SDHC card on order that I would love to use in the left expansion slot (so it's non-intrusive), but even re-installing the SD driver made available by Acer doesn't let the computer recognise the left slot (right recognises without issue). I'm testing with an 'olde' 64MB FAT32 card. XP installed on NTFS.

Am I missing something here? I don't care if it's 'integrated' into my SDD, but I'd at least like to see it in My Computer (it's not in Disk Manager, either, so I can't give it a letter and whatnot). It's simply not there. What can I do to correct this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TheLarrikin, Jan 16, 2009
  2. TheLarrikin

TheLarrikin

Re: XP on original Linux AspireOne - no Left SD Exp.

*Note: I don't WANT to use this as an addition to the SSD. I just want it to be recognised. It's not. At all. I know it can't be easily added as a part of the SSD. Thanks.

TheLarrikin, Jan 16, 2009
  3. TheLarrikin

DiSK

Try uninstalling the driver, then reboot. Then, insert your SD card, and it should ask to install new hardware. At that point, take the driver and point to it manually with the driver installation wizard.

DiSK, Jan 17, 2009
  4. TheLarrikin

TheLarrikin

I think I may have tried that before, but simply to be thorough, I tried it again. No dice. However, when I insert the card into the right slot, I get the driver install. And it works properly. I don't even get the prompt when I try the left side. :S Still with hope, but without solution. Thanks for posting, though. Any more ideas??

TheLarrikin, Jan 17, 2009
  5. TheLarrikin

TheLarrikin

Tried reinstalling XP, formatted in FAT32 (after reading through the forums, and hanging on the brink of desperation for this freaking Expansion Slot), and still no dice.

Any help?

TheLarrikin, Jan 18, 2009
  6. TheLarrikin

hoyin007

I have encounter the same problem before.

The most likely reason is you have nLite the XP and disable PCMCIA card support which you the CardReader need it to function.

hoyin007, Jan 19, 2009
  7. TheLarrikin

TheLarrikin

The right SD slot works just fine, though. Are they not on the same controller?

Would it be possible to enable PCMCIA, or would a re-install of XP be necessary (I'd rather not reinstall if at all possible)?

TheLarrikin, Jan 19, 2009
  8. TheLarrikin

TheLarrikin

Well, no idea what just happened, but my computer went into sleep mode, and when I woke it up, it detected the SD card. So, it works now (thankfully, as my 8GB SDHC is on the way).

Thanks for the help, guys. :)

TheLarrikin, Jan 19, 2009
Ask a Question