XP Limited Account up keep?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Joe Foe from Buffalo, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Joe Foe from Buffalo

Joe Foe from Buffalo

What kind of up keep like anti virus,anti spyware,defrag and such should or can I use when a limited Windows XP account is being used? In other words when a non XP administrator user is being used and the up keep programs set up in the XP administrator user warns they will not work or allowed to be used when the limited use XP account is logged in and the limited account does not allow them to be used or others added.

Joe Foe from Buffalo, Apr 5, 2009
  2. Joe Foe from Buffalo

garrettp

Hmmm, kind of a confusing question. I am assuming you are asking what programs can be run on a "Limited Access Account"?

If you install programs, most likely they will have to be run as an Admin. If you are in a limited user account some programs can be "Run as Admin" with password protection.

As far as AV and up keep, the AV software should be set up under and Admin account and then will run on limited accounts automatically.

Running upkeep programs like defrag and cleanup should also be run from the admin account.

Does that help any?

garrettp, Apr 5, 2009
  3. Joe Foe from Buffalo

Joe Foe from Buffalo

Kinda helps with your reply and you are correct on what I'm asking. My anti virus and spyware detector I have in installed in the administrator says they will not run when the limited account is in use. The same computer is not logged in as administrator that often and 99% of the time logged in to the one and only limited account.

Joe Foe from Buffalo, Apr 6, 2009
  4. Joe Foe from Buffalo

garrettp

What AV and SpyW are u using? Odd that they won't work in limited. What about downloading Free AVG? I know that will run in every account. Have you tried to install "as admin" on limited account?

garrettp, Apr 6, 2009
  5. Joe Foe from Buffalo

Joe Foe from Buffalo

I'm using "Internet Security Suite Software from CA"
    http://www.timewarnercable.com/nynj/lea ... urity.html
    that Time Warner offers to me/subscribers for free. It uses AVG for it's anti virus. I don't want to allow the limited account to be able to log in as administrator to try to limit problems.

6. Joe Foe from Buffalo

garrettp

Why don't you "enable" admin rights just to install what you need. You will have to do this from the admin account and then boot to the limited account. When you are done switch it back to limited :D

garrettp, Apr 6, 2009
  7. Joe Foe from Buffalo

Joe Foe from Buffalo

Hmmmm? Never thought of that! I will try asap. Thank you!

Ask a Question