xfdesktop2 died after update?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Orichalcon, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Orichalcon

Orichalcon

I just got my Acer Aspire One today from catchoftheday, Came with Linux Linpus. I did the automatic updates after getting the wireless up and running. But after installing the software updates and on the second reboot, it came up with the Black screen containing only the task bar and the search menu. I can't open up a terminal or anything. When I search for something and try to run it, it says something about 'nautilus' not being available.

When I try to click the little home icon down the bottom left it tells me:
    could not run command: xfdesktop2 --gohome:
    failed to execute child process "xfdesktop2" (no such file or directory).

Has updating the computer right out of the box completely killed it? I really don't want to have to run out and buy an optical USB drive just to do a system restore. If anyone knows a fix for this I'd be super appreciated. Or at least an easy-to-understand guide as to what has to be done to get it working.

Orichalcon, Dec 10, 2008
  2. Orichalcon

charlie01

Im assuming you have it fixed by now,,But if not,it doesnt take long to make a bootable usb flash drive.
    Your acer should of come with a CD,,You need to use a computer with a cd drive.First thing you do is to make that computer boot up from the CD drive.You can usually do that on startup buy clicking f12,,some computers differ.Once there select the CD drive to boot up from,,Make sure the Linpus CD and the USB flash drive are already in that computer before you restart it.
    The flash drive should be at least 1 gig,,,On reboot when the linpus screen comes on it will give you options,,,Click Make Bootable USB,,,and then follow the instructions from there.

The Bootable USB comes in handy if anything should go wrong while attempting to modify your AA1.

Im a newbie to linux,,,But knowing i have this makes me more willing to attempt some more intricate mods.

charlie01, Dec 18, 2008
  3. Orichalcon

Orichalcon

Thankyou. I haven't fixed it yet, couldn't figure out how to make that bootable USB flash drive and I was warned against booting from the CD on a windows computer with more than one harddrive.

Orichalcon, Dec 21, 2008
Ask a Question