xfce manage desktop kills wallpaper

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jsfritz, Aug 28, 2008.

1. jsfritz

jsfritz

Hi guys,

I think this is a really simple question that I'm overlooking the answer to. In order to be able to change the wallpaper under Display Manager, I need to let XFCE manage my desktop -- there's a checkbox for it at the top.

But whenever I do that the acer home buttons show up and cover up any wallpaper image I set. How can I make it so that the acer home buttons don't show up, but am still able to set the wallpaper?

jsfritz, Aug 28, 2008
  2. jsfritz

IMSancho

I'm assuming you've edited your /etc/xdg/xfce4-session/xfce4-session.rc to start up xfdesktop-xfce instead of the acer desktop? If so, just restart after selecting that box, everytime you deselect and reselect it it'll launch xfdesktop2, but doesn't change your startup script.

If after that you find that on reboot your wallpaper is not coming up, check this thread -> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1824

IMSancho, Aug 28, 2008
  3. jsfritz

jsfritz

Nope. it still doesn't show my wallpaper. It shows neither the desktop icons nor the acer desktop -- it shows the normal xfce background and when I go to Desktop Settings, it shows that "let xfce manage my desktop" is unchecked even though I specifically checked it before I rebooted.

Here is my xfce4-session.rc (the relevant section):
    # This the default session launched by xfce4-session if the
    # user hasn't saved any session yet or creates a new session.
    [Failsafe Session]
    Count=5

Client0_Command=xfdesktop-xfce
    #Client0_Command=xfdes ktopnew
    Client0_PerScreen=False
    Client1_Command=xfwm4
    Client1_PerScreen=False
    Client2_Command=xfce4-panel
    Client2_PerScreen=False
    Client3_Command=xfce-mcs-manager.new
    #Client3_Command=/usr/sh are/search-bar/start-search_bar.sh
    Client3_PerScreen=False
    Client4_Command=xfcepost
    Client4_PerScreen=False

So I'm really confused. Making a startup script to kill xfdesktop2 and start xdesktop-xfce manually is really a kludge workaround and I'd prefer not to do it. How do I keep xfdesktop2 from starting at the very least?

jsfritz, Aug 28, 2008
  4. jsfritz

IMSancho

I have had a similar problem happen while customising my desktop, which I could only put down to some corrupt configs. I ended up deleting the ~/.config/xfce and ~/.config/xfce4-session directories and set up my window settings, fonts, etc again and haven't had any trouble since. Maybe try moving those directories first, in case it doesn't fix the problem and you want them back. After that, enable desktop management, kill xfdesktop 2, start xfdesktop-xfce, give it a good 20-30 seconds to get fully loaded and create some config files then restart again and see if the changes took.

IMSancho, Aug 29, 2008
Ask a Question