Would you recommend it ?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by desgnr, Oct 3, 2008.

1. desgnr

desgnr

I see so many posts about the Aspire one that have a black screen & are unusable after such a short time.

Are these units defective ?

I really like the specs better than the Dell Mini , but i'm afraid to buy one after seeing soooooo many black screen posts.

Can anyone give me some good advise.

Does Acer know about this, & have a fix ?

desgnr, Oct 3, 2008
  2. desgnr

donec

That's twice you have made this post. But since you changed the question I'll say I do recommend the Acer Aspire One and have been recommending it.

donec, Oct 4, 2008
  3. desgnr

Nina

IF you are willing to invest a bit of time searching for solutions and fixes (this is a good place :D ), then it's very recommendable!. I had to send the first AA1 back because it had developed a buzzing sound. The fan wasn't so bad on that one though. Anyway, my second one sounded like a miniature jet until I downloaded Ralf's fan control software. Then no issue. I've become an expert in formatting and making bootable memory sticks (having forgotten how to do it and lost the first shareware link :oops: ). The AA1 feels good, looks great and acts like a full size notebook. I am a gadget-freak who loves fiddling around technology. This is actually my son's AA1 but I keep updating it and it just gets better and better. The one thing I've found with gadgets -- there's always something not perfect about them and of course, there's always something better, quicker and cheaper coming out when you think you've just both THE perfect machine.

Nina

Nina, Oct 7, 2008
  4. desgnr

desgnr

Nina:
    Thanks for your reply.
    I really want it more than the Dell Mini 9 because it has the bigger HD,But i am scared because of the ENORMOUS amount of posts about the Black screen which makes me think there is a bug in these.
    Can you comment on that ?

desgnr, Oct 7, 2008
  5. desgnr

Nina

First of all, I bought my AA1 from NCIX and opted for the recommended extra insurance (about $12). The next thing I did was register my computer with Acer within the first 30 days. That way, I was covered. I was lucky that my computer started buzzing within the first month which meant I had prepaid postage back to NCIX and automatic replacement from them due to the $12 insurance. The black screen seems to occur in most cases when users get more adventuresome or do something without reading up on it first. I have had a lot of lemons in everything I've bought - from fridges to DVD recorders to computers. It's just a fact of life. I wanted the Aspire One and reasoned that Acer is a company that's been around a few years now. If you want the AA1, get it and relax -- get it home, don't rush through its setup and tell yourself, If something happens, I'll just send it back. If it doesn't "belly up" during the first year, it's not going to. You can always add on the extra 2-year warranty from Acer if you're that worried.

Hope this helps. NCIX is having a weekly special right now for the 120 GB drive, XP version.

Nina

Nina, Oct 7, 2008
  6. desgnr

desgnr

What you say really makes sense.
    I just did'nt want to buy something that i know will Malfunction.
    Usually if i don't like a product i could return it & get another brand,but on Laptops they charge 15% on returns,which is a waste of money.
    Do you really believe all the posts on Black screen problem is people altering the unit ?
    But see you had to return one because of noise.
    Also where do i getRalfs fan control.( I hear they have a noisy fan )

desgnr, Oct 7, 2008
  7. desgnr

donec

The 15% restocking fee does not apply if the item is broken.

donec, Oct 7, 2008
  8. desgnr

desgnr

What i meant was if i had a bad one i would want to get a refund & buy a Dell Mini 9
    Have you looked at the Dell ?
    How do you think they compare in quality ?

desgnr, Oct 8, 2008
  9. desgnr

chuckcalo

Well if you have the money I'd take a EEEPC 1000h, I believe their screen is larger and got bluetooth. But IMHO I think no one can beat the AAO's style.

chuckcalo, Oct 8, 2008
  10. desgnr

Tamrac

I would not pick the EEE 1000 over the AAO..... BUT, I would pick the Lenovo S10 over the AAO... It's 10in LCD but retains the dimensions almost the same as the AAO, and is actually a bit thinner! Boots XP in 30sec out of the box, and all the upgradable parts like HD, wifi, RAM are easily accessible. No disassembly! :lol:

Tamrac, Oct 8, 2008
  11. desgnr

ericcarmichael

I love the AA1, I got mine last week and it boots xp pretty quickly ( i havent timed it). What more do you need? lol if bluetooth is an issue you can get a mini dongle for like 20 bucks that is almost flush with the case. It is true that this takes up a usb port, but other mininotes like the Hp 2133 only have 2 usb ports anyway (the AA1 has 3). AA1 FTW

ericcarmichael, Dec 10, 2008
Ask a Question