Worth the upgrade on a A150 running windows?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by vibez, Oct 6, 2008.

1. vibez

vibez

I already have 1Gb in my A150 HDD version running windows.

Is it worth upgrading by the extra 0.5gb? I'd be interested in hearing from people who have already done this with this version of the ONE

vibez, Oct 6, 2008
  2. vibez

goofball

not if you don't use your system for more than just mundane tasks. 1GB is fine for average pedestrian-type user.

goofball, Oct 6, 2008
  3. vibez

Midori

What about gaming using Photoshop browsing Firefox with alot of tabbing....multiple monitors....how do you think it would handle? with only 1gb

Midori, Oct 7, 2008
  4. vibez

goofball

Silly question, don't you think? :roll:

goofball, Oct 7, 2008
  5. vibez

Midori

Why is it a silly question would it be worth the upgrade...?

Midori, Oct 7, 2008
  6. vibez

vibez

Cheers for the reply. I don't think going from 1->1.5 will improve the performance much. It's not like a netbook is a sensible choice for high end applications even with a memory boost :)

vibez, Oct 7, 2008
  7. vibez

crcornelison

I removed the hynix 512 MB SODIMM and upgraded my AA1 with 1 GB Crucial DDR2 533MHz SODIMM total 1.5 GB of RAM and a 250 GB SATA HDD. Yes, the system is stable and runs as well as my other higher end notebooks with WINXP Pro and Vista. Be careful with the keyboard clamp and other connections during the processof upgrading. You can google upgrade and see how to on You tube. Simple to do but is far more steps than the usual notebook and/or laptop. Keyboard, Top base, mouse pad, a bunch of screws under and over the MB and you' re there. Anyway, it can be done and the system is running top end for the cost and the upgrades...

v/r

crcornelison, Oct 8, 2008
  8. vibez

lotus49

A friend of mine works for the Meterological Office in the UK and I offered to lend him my One to run the global weather simulations but I am worried whether 512MB will be sufficient.

Seriously, if you want to run Photoshop, games and browse the web at the same time, you are looking at completely the wrong machine. I love my One, it's one of the best gadgets I ever bought but you should bear in mind that it is a low-powered machine and is not really suitable for Photoshop or gaming and certainly not at the same time.

Adding more memory will help, but that 512MB is not going to make that much difference. You need a much more powerful machine to do this. My MacBook Pro doesn't run Photoshop that quickly. I shudder to think how it would run on a One while playing Doom 3 and surfing 10 web sites. I think you would be measuring your frame rate at seconds (if not minutes) per frame not frames per second.

lotus49, Oct 8, 2008
  9. vibez

The-Monk

I think the upgrade would be worth it. I work for an IT company and we are a certified Acer service centre and its weird be we have been told by Acer that we are not allowed to service/repair Aspire Ones. They couldn't give us a reason which I find strange but there you go... We have some spare 1Gb RAM sticks taken out of upgraded MacBook Pro's so I'm going to stick one of them in it today.... Even though we are not allowed to touch Aspire Ones I'm going to let our tech guys upgrade it for me.

I think the upgrade will be worth while.

The-Monk, Oct 10, 2008
  10. vibez

Kei

How could you have possibly derived i would want to run those programs simultaniously..........wth......so the question is would it be worth the upgrade of 512mb ram would the performance increase be noticeable in apps like PS and firefox and doing lite multitasking may improve?

Kei, Oct 10, 2008
  11. vibez

Joe Harper

I have a Acer One with a 120GB / 1GB RAM running Windows XP and i did the upgrade. i have to say that when working in Photoshop CS3 and playing Half Life it does perform better so for me it was worth the upgrade. it only took me about 15 minutes and i bout the 1GB DDR2 ram module for under $20.00USD at a Fry's Electronics here in Atlanta. More RAM = Good :D especially on a laptop with no other upgradeable performance features. Cheers and good luck! - Joe

On a side note if you are going to perform the RAM upgrade you should go ahead and add a bluetooth module inside the case! it was easier than i thought it would be and now i can use my bluetooth mouse with my laptop without taking up any of the external USB ports! :cool: check out my version of the tnkgrl mod at my site http://joeharper.net/2008/10/02/43/

Joe Harper, Oct 10, 2008
  12. vibez

Kei

Thanks for the info i will definetely get this done when i get the chance :D

Kei, Oct 10, 2008
  13. vibez

bjlockie

How are you going to drive multiple monitors with your One?

RAM upgrades are always worth it if you do it yourself or can get it done cheaply.
    I plan to do mine once the warranty runs out.
    I bought the 1GB, 512MB never would do.
    Acer should sell the 1.5GB on every model.

bjlockie, Oct 24, 2008
  14. vibez

serverius

I just did the upgrade to 1.5gb ram on my AAO 150 and i must say it's worth the effort.
    I have to say i run "heavy" apps like autocad and CS3 and it helps to have the extra ram installed.
    To everybody who needs it to go a bit smoother i can recommend the upgrade.

Greetz Jimmy

serverius, Oct 30, 2008
Ask a Question