Working fix for XP Atheros WiFi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cc3324fd, Sep 24, 2008.

1. cc3324fd

cc3324fd

Found a fix tonight finally, after days of searching and tinkering, trying to get WiFi to work in XP after never seeing an SSID show up in the Windows utility and manual saved profiles disappearing constantly.

:!: My Fix:

1. Install the 7.6.0.224 drivers from the Acer ftp site. ( ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/notebook/aspire_one_150/driver/WLAN_Atheros_v7.6.0.224.zip )

2. Downlaod the Atheros Client Utility for AR5xxx series WiFi cards, mirrored here: http://download.softpedia.ro/dl/67a...drivers/OTHERS/atheros_c-u-5.2.0.125-2kxp.exe

3. During installation, when prompted choose to use the Atheros client instead of windows to manage wireless connections.

4. After installation, restart. Using the Atheros Client Utility, (right click on the taskbar icon, go to Open Atheros Client Utility...) under profile management, either create a new profile using the desired SSID and Encryption Key or click on Scan... to pick from a list of scanned SSID's.

Voila! Hope this works for more than just me! So far so good, not a single glitch or problem.

Edit: The utility also has options for power management such as "none", for keeping the wifi card turned on if you are having problems with sleep mode / wireless. The utility seems to reconnect very quickly upon wake so far that I've seen without trouble.
    Going into Device Manager, the Atheros wireless card properties, Advanced (tab), and setting Power Save Mode to "off" also helps with sleep mode problems vs wifi.

cc3324fd, Sep 24, 2008
  2. cc3324fd

eebob10

What a fantastic post.

This also solves the battery power none connect issue in Windows XP as well [When you boot sometimes it connects, most of the time it doesn't and you have to repair to get it going]

Muchos propos.

eebob10, Sep 25, 2008
  3. cc3324fd

lohtse

Thank you for the client links been looking for it but could not locate.

thank you.

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 19, 2008
  4. cc3324fd

substantiaNiagra

I went through this process earlier this morning and so far everything has been running flawlessly. Usually I would have had atleast 3 or 4 wifi problems by now but so far nothing. I'll keep you posted. Thanks in either case.

substantiaNiagra, Dec 22, 2008
  5. cc3324fd

blackflag

Can everybody verify this works? Is this finally the fix?

blackflag, Dec 22, 2008
  6. cc3324fd

mickeyjc

Thank you so much. I have re-installed my A110 three times; this finally solves my wireless problem... it works..

mickeyjc, Dec 22, 2008
  7. cc3324fd

substantiaNiagra

Bummer after 35 hours of no issues, I had a freeze up in the wifi. However this fix has made the card 95% stable. I would have atleast 2-4 lock ups every 12 hours, but now Ive had 1 in 35 hours. Worth installing in either case.

substantiaNiagra, Dec 22, 2008
Ask a Question