wont boot

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jody, Dec 31, 2010.

1. jody

jody

hi all this is my first post !
    i have a aa1 zg5, which used to work fine
    now when i switch it on, it will not boot, if i press f2 for bios or f12 for boot dev options, it just sits there doing nothing, it will not boot or let me into the bios
    i have tried the emergency usb bios flash, and nothing !
    im guessing a hardware problem, has anyone any ideas, as it's a good machine and i dont wanna sell it for spares !

thanks in advance

jody

jody, Dec 31, 2010
  2. jody

pathy

i would give it a go with another ram. maybe your ram is stuffed.

it's only a suggestion.

pathy, Jan 1, 2011
  3. jody

Swarvey Moderator

RAM can be the problem, but usually only if you've opened the machine up and replaced / upgraded the modules. Otherwise it's the usual black screen that requires a USB recovery of the BIOS. If you've already done the USB recovery method and haven't been able to fix the problem, your best bet (if it's not the RAM) would be to call Acer's Tech Support and see what they say. They should eithe guide you thru a USB Crisis Recovery or will book your machine in for repair (if it's under warranty)

Swarvey, Jan 1, 2011
  4. jody

jody

i had added a extra 1gb ram and intel n class wifi, but have removed both
    it is out of warranty, i have phoned acer, and they want a fortune ti look at it !

jody, Jan 1, 2011
  5. jody

Swarvey Moderator

It was probably silly of me, but I assumed you still had warranty lol. Anyways, it looks like you might have to try the crisis recovery again, but use a different USB stick if available. Not all of them work with this process. Also make sure that you've formatted the USB stick appropriatley. Otherwise you might want to find a replacement BIOS chip and someone to install it for you if you don't feel up to the task.

Check out this link if you need more information about creating a crisis recovery USB stick.

Swarvey, Jan 1, 2011
Ask a Question