WLAN Just died?!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by paranoiid, Feb 10, 2009.

1. paranoiid

paranoiid

The hell just happened? After a reboot and now the bloody "network" thingy in the notification area (bottom right) wont show. I cant even open "network settings". Everything else opens just fine but that one just wont open.

The wlan radio is working fine (orange button is on and glowing).

Also, my came with a little "fuzzy" right click. Its like the left half of the button have gotten de attached from its socket so it sinks "down" below... If you catch my drift. Thought about RMAing it but it seems very unnecessary for sucha a small thing but now I'm thinking that maybe the whole thing is faulty? :/

All answers are appreciated

paranoiid, Feb 10, 2009
  2. paranoiid

ronime

All of the AA1s that I have come across have more travel on the right hand touchpad button.

I think that the main reason is that there is no fastener in this area to clamp the front of the keyboard bezel to the lower case moulding. Consequently the front edge of the keyboard bezel tends to spring upwards in this area and lifts the touchpad button away from the switch on the motherboard.

Making sure that the speaker cable is lying flat on the motherboard and using some strong double-sided adhesive tape between the keyboard bezel and the front edge of the lower case moulding helps somewhat.

ronime, Feb 10, 2009
  3. paranoiid

davidjs_uk

Something is up here. After the latest Win XP update my wlan doesn't work and even wired access is sketchy at best. Wifi card doesn't see any wireless networks at all but other machines in the house are fine. I now have three or six (changes) instances of 'Base system device' in my device manager needing drivers too.

Any ideas anyone?

davidjs_uk, Feb 10, 2009
  4. paranoiid

davidjs_uk

Fixed it. Just to clarify I did a few things, some of which might be relevant to you, some not, but I list them here:

1. Upgraded to the latest BIOS
    2. Uninstalled Gmail icon notifier which was crashing on startup after the latest Win XP automatic update
    3. Resinstalled the Atheros WIfi driver from the Acer site

davidjs_uk, Feb 10, 2009
  5. paranoiid

babyboo

This exact thing has just happened to my Aspire One. I have been using the wireless on it fine since having it but not its decided to just disappear. I cant get into the network settings..double click on it and nothing happens. Can someone please help as a netbook is a complete waste of space without internet access!

babyboo, Feb 11, 2009
Ask a Question