Wireless Slow

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ldroamer, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Ldroamer

Ldroamer

I have the XP version of the Aspire One. My wireless is slow compared to my other computers. I have adjusted the power saving settings for the wireless card as described in other posts and this does help but does not completely solve my problem.

My internet connection runs around 9 to 10 Mbs. If I do a broadband speed test on the Aspire one the best I can get is about 6Mbs. My other computers using the same test all show something in excess of 9 Mbs. Anyone have any idea if there is something I can do to get the speed up or is it just that the hardware in this little machine isn't up to the same standard as full laptop.

By the way it is a great little machine.

Ldroamer, Sep 7, 2008
  2. Ldroamer

kentris

Did you turn the power save option to off?

I'm getting maximum speeds with my wifi power save to off.

kentris, Sep 8, 2008
  3. Ldroamer

Ldroamer

I did turn the power save feature off and it made a difference especially when running on battery. Before I made that change the speed was pathetic. However throughput to the internet hovers in the range of 5 to 6Mbs but my other computers get faster speeds. I did a quick test and it looks like when downloading from another PC on the network speed is about that you would expect for a wireless G connection.

Ldroamer, Sep 8, 2008
  4. Ldroamer

Ldroamer

Just an update. I am now not convinced that there is a significant difference in speed. I think my ISP has had some issues and the speed of my connection is up and down. I think I just happened to test the Aspire One when the ISP speed was down and when I checked on my other computers it had gone back up. I ran a test today and got over 8mbs. Still not quite as good as my normal but faster than my the initial test I did. Probably just a fluke the way it happened.

Ldroamer, Sep 9, 2008
  5. Ldroamer

Ldroamer

Although not totally confirmed it does appear that my Aspire One does download from the internet a little slower than my other computers. Doing back to back tests with my Aspire One and my Acer dual core laptop I generally see faster speeds on the laptop than the Acer Aspire One. I kind of doubt anything can be done to change this but if anyone has a bright idea I would like to hear it.

Just so you know I am on my second Acer Aspire in less than a week as the first one had to go back after the fan died. Speeds between the two AAO machines I had seem to be identical.

Ldroamer, Sep 13, 2008
Ask a Question