wireless on Aspire Revo 1600?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by slhayes, Sep 21, 2010.

1. slhayes

slhayes

I think this is my first time on this forum so I don't know if I am in the right place, but here is my question. I have the Aspire Revo 1600 and am wondering is there any way to use this machine for wireless peripherals like printers etc?

slhayes, Sep 21, 2010
  2. slhayes

Swarvey Moderator

First off, congratulations on being the first person to read the warnings and post your non-Aspire One topic in the appropriate area of the forums. Also thanks for that, we've been getting inundated with non Aspire One Posts and people just not reading the rules. So thanks again :mrgreen:

As for your question, do you mean you want to be able to connect to wireless resources?

A printer needs to support wireless technology as mine does at home. Virtually any computer with a wireless network connection can connect to these devies. So long as everything is all connected to the network properly you shouldn't have a problem. Just browse to the resource through your network places, and 9 times out of 10, it's a matter of right-clicking on the resource (printer for example) and choosing "Connect"

Swarvey, Sep 21, 2010
  3. slhayes

slhayes

Thanks for letting me know I was in the right place, I thought I had posted on this site a long time ago, but had to register and since my password list didn't list this particular site I guess this is my first time here.

About what I need to know, I have the Acer Asprire R1600 which does not have wireless connectivity, but I am anticipating the need for a new printer and it looks like the wireless are the only ones I see pop up on my Amazon search. I guess I would have to buy an adapter first? This makes me a little nervous because I have used the handheld Palms for years and years before everything went to cell phones, and I would try to connect with bluetooth with dismal success. Any advice?

slhayes, Sep 22, 2010
  4. slhayes

Swarvey Moderator

My Epson TX700W can connect via bluetooth, so if you already have a bluetooth enabled machine, you shouldn't have too many problems locating one. But just because the ad for the product says it's wireless, doesn't necessarily mean it has bluetooth capabilities.

For what they're worth a WiFi card is a great addon for your PC. I'd suggest getting one anyway, that way you can know for sure that you can connect to virtually anything advertised as "WiFi" capable.

Swarvey, Sep 22, 2010
  5. slhayes

slhayes

Would a card work or fit in an Aspire Revo 1600? It is not a regular desktop more like a notebook?

slhayes, Sep 22, 2010
  6. slhayes

Swarvey Moderator

The Aspire Revo R1600 is what's commonly caled a NetTop PC. They're basically a desktop PC running the smallest of small components. I'm not sure about expansion or upgradability, but probably the easiest method would be to just buy a small USB WiFi dongle. That is of course provided they're not crippled by means of no USB ports, but they more than likely do.

Swarvey, Sep 22, 2010
  7. slhayes

slhayes

Thia what I thought would be my best option. It came with 6 USB ports and I have a USB hub that is powered so that should work okay. My only concern was if there any problems with the dongles working without problems.

slhayes, Sep 22, 2010
  8. slhayes

Swarvey Moderator

So long as you buy a decent quality, brand name device you should be fine. I personally wouldn't buy anything from NetGear, but that's based on my past experiences with their equipment, other people may say otherwise. If I was to suggest anything, it would be D-Link.

Swarvey, Sep 25, 2010
Ask a Question