Wireless not working due to Kernel update?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by juniper, Dec 14, 2008.

1. juniper

juniper

I have OneLinux, a modified version of Ubuntu on my AA1. It works pretty well and I'm quite happy with it, even though OneLinux is no longer being supported. The Wireless on my Linux stopped working a few days ago and the only thing I can attribute it to is that I did an update on it. But I don't know how to fix it :/ I looked at the Ubuntu documentation for AA1 and it says that every time I do a kernel update I have to go into a folder and run some commands. You can check the documentation for yourself, right here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne#WIRELESS:

I don't know where said folder is located at, since I didn't follow those specific steps to the get wireless up and running. I did something similar, yet slightly different and I'm too much of a Linux noob to figure exactly how to fix this.

Any and all help is great, Thanks!

FYI: The wireless doesn't show up at the top right icon. When I right-click the Network icon, I get the option to "Enable Networking" but not "Enable Wireless" like it used to before this issue cropped up.

juniper, Dec 14, 2008
  2. juniper

maxn

3. juniper

simonbanyard

If you install Intrepid Ibex, for the time being do not update it! Daniel O'Donnell's blog (http://people.uleth.ca/~daniel.odon...pid-ibex-on-acer-aspire-one-netbook#backports) explains how to get things running nicely. it would appear that there are some broken bits out there in Linux land generally. It seems that hal-info and udev are responsible, although don't take my word for it as I'm no expert. I haven't had any luck with madwifi or ndiswrapper after updating. If you want to stop hal-info and udev updating, fire-up a terminal and put in
    Code:
    sudo echo "hal-info hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections
    and
    Code:
    sudo echo "udev hold" | sudo dpkg --set-selections
    respectively. Hope this is useful...

simonbanyard, Dec 15, 2008
Ask a Question