Wireless not connecting to home system

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hewzuri, Nov 19, 2008.

1. hewzuri

hewzuri

I know that there has been a few threads on this subject, but i have not found an solution to my problem. I just bought myself a new One with the Linpus OS and I cannot connect to my home internet. The free wifi at the cafe down the street (where I don't need a WEP pass) works fine, but my home router system does not. It tells me that I keep getting disconnected and need to re-enter my password. I am not a Windows user and there are two macs already set up to my router that recieve perfect wireless connectivity. Also, there are no MAC address or security firewalls to my knowledge, only a WEP password.

I have a very basic understanding of computers and their set-up. Does anyone have an easy solution? Thanks!

hewzuri, Nov 19, 2008
  2. hewzuri

daldred

Can you connect wired? If so I'd suggest doing so and running the Live Update; there's a network manager upgrade in the updates which might help.

If you can't connect wired either, then we need to look at your router and network settings....

daldred, Nov 19, 2008
  3. hewzuri

hewzuri

I can connect to the LAN line and I was able to install the live updates, but it is still not recognizing my wireless, even though it shows the wireless having full connectivity.

hewzuri, Nov 20, 2008
  4. hewzuri

just a number

I found a possible issue with my home network/Linpus aspire:

My DLink router (DI-524) has a setting where the WEP key can be in ascii or hex format. My Aspire One can only connect when the router is set to ascii. I can't find a setting in my Aspire One where the network can be changed from ascii to hex (or vice versa) so I will assume the network manager is a ascii utility only?

any thoughts?

just a number, Nov 22, 2008
  5. hewzuri

aaparkr

Not sure what sort of wireless router you are using, but you can try two things. You can disable WEP on your router if you can get to its setup page(s). The down side of this is that you would be serving up wireless access to anyone within range. The other choice is to find out what the WEP password on your wireless router is and put that in your aao. Both choices mean you probably have to get to the correct setup page for your router. Once you have the WEP password, left click on the wireless network icon on the bottom of the screen and select Connection Manager. The Connection Management screen should show your wireless network. Click on that and then click on Edit to bring up the Connection Properties. From there you should be able to select WEP, select security type - Open and enter the Security Passphrase, then Click on Finish and your aao should be able to connect if you are in range.

I don't remember where I found this information, but that is how I connect my wireless at home. I have had to set up different wireless networks for different wifi spots I frequent and I use Connection manager for them too (secure or unsecure).

Tony

aaparkr, Nov 22, 2008
Ask a Question