Wireless definitely overheating and dropping out

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ihartley, Mar 5, 2009.

1. ihartley

ihartley

I write this on my 1.5MB AAO running Win7, sitting nex to my Wifi router, with a a1ctl temp of 61c. I know before I finish this post I will have to manually disconnect and reconnect to send it. Wireless always says that it's connected and has good signal, but it ain't working. Disc and reconnect and hey presto, all good again for 5 mins.

Are we stumbling on a design flaw here where part of the AAO is overheating?? I can't find another reason - i've never had a problem when it's running cool. Is it a laptop that won't sit on the lap, or do they call it a "netbook" as it has to sit on a net to cool???? :lol:

This is bad man, worse than having to become a midget electronics expert to install more ram. Can someone shed some light on this so I know whether to return it or just live with the fact that I have hot knees???? (a few women have commented!!!)

TIA

ihartley, Mar 5, 2009
  2. ihartley

Tamrac

I live in the Philippines where it's ALWAYS hot, hehehe. No overheating here. wifi has not overheated on me, not even once. And I do use my AAO on location shoots, well away from air conditioned rooms. I think it's a Windows 7 issue, or you have a defective wifi card.

Tamrac, Mar 5, 2009
  3. ihartley

Rich in ILM

Just make sure none of the vent holes, underneath, are blocked. Put the Acer on a hard surface if you have to.

Rich in ILM, Mar 5, 2009
  4. ihartley

ihartley

Thanks for the replies and reassurance. But is normally on my lap. There isn't a "hard surface" I'd like to put it on anywhere near!

ihartley, Mar 5, 2009
  5. ihartley

Rich in ILM

Just grab a book or something. You will severely limit the life of the whole PC if it ges hot enough to shut the WiFi down.

Those vent holes need to be exposed.

Rich in ILM, Mar 6, 2009
  6. ihartley

jjj

Whilst on holiday in Cambodia & Malaysia, my wifi sometimes dropped out after operating for an extended period of time operating (on a flat surface) & would not reconnect until it had been switched off for a period of time.

How do you monitor the temperature?

jjj, Mar 6, 2009
  7. ihartley

Ab_Normal

I've had a similar issue with my older Lenovo notebook, so I use a piece of cardboard from the packing box it came in as a lap desk when I'm sitting in my recliner... (The bigger issue is getting the cat to make room for the netbook. She seems to think that it's her lap and she doesn't have to share.)

Ab_Normal, Mar 13, 2009
Ask a Question