Wireless card dead?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by fateastray, Oct 19, 2008.

1. fateastray

fateastray

I left my One running during the night, downloading.

When I woke up this morning, it said that the connection was severed and could not be reconnected. This happens from time to time, so I figured I'd just reboot. And so I did.

After rebooting, the wlan icon is missing entirely from my systray menu. Opening my network connections, it wasn't there either.

After some 'WTF-ing' I tried to insert the cat5-cable. Limited/No connection! Well, then I inserted an external wlan-card (Netgear W111v3) And i have internets.

I redownloaded the LAN drivers, and i have LAN connection.

HOWEVER! I can't re-install/uninstall/install the wLan drivers, because the installer notes that the device cannot be activated! Does this mean the wlan network card in the One is dead/buried and broken????

I hope not! Because I use W2Secure to log into the school network, and the NETGEAR card can't use this feature....

Any suggestions? I -really- don't want to send my One in for repairs, because my school is Computer Engineering (Not sure what the name for it in english would be...for dutch people "Technische Informatica"...), and I can't get along without my computer....

fateastray, Oct 19, 2008
  2. fateastray

melhiore

Stupid question but have you tried to flick front sliding switch for Wi-Fi??

melhiore, Oct 19, 2008
  3. fateastray

fateastray

Oh, i didn't mention. But yeah, about a gazillion times. Also rebooted a bunch of times. I'm running WinXp SP3 btw, not that that would matter, but lets be as precise as possible...

Is it easy to build a new card in by oneself? I really don't wanna send it in for repairs, because I can't miss itfor that long. And is the card even for sale seperately?

fateastray, Oct 19, 2008
  4. fateastray

melhiore

Piece of cake - all you have to do is just open AA1. Wi-Fi card is fully accessible then I do not expect any traps waiting for you... :) If your card is really dead I would suggest going for Intel 5300 Draft - faster, more power efficient...

melhiore, Oct 19, 2008
  5. fateastray

fateastray

I hope so. Just to report, I can't lift out my motherboard, because one screw is stuck and the entrypoint for a screwdriver is, how do you say, thoroughly damaged.. (In my attempt to build in extra RAM) . . . Never really noticed where the Wifi card is. I think i'll get a second opinion on the matter at the shop where i bought it. Or not...lol...

The card you mentioned, it fits too? Like so it won't hang loose at parts, or you have to forcefully push down other hardware to close it all up again?

fateastray, Oct 19, 2008
  6. fateastray

melhiore

Yes. Card fits perfectly. Card is this rectangular part with two antenna connectors: http://picasaweb.google.it/FFurcas/AA1# ... 9472407362 You do not even have to lift motherboard...

There is only one thing you have to know - Intel WiFi 5300 card is using 3 aerial instead of two. You can buy extra one at ebay - something like that: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Hitachi-Mini- ... 911.c0.m14 This aerial can be placed actually everywhere along the HDD or SSD...

melhiore, Oct 19, 2008
  7. fateastray

fateastray

IS that thingy required? I recognize the WiFi-card, so that shouldn't be a problem, but that extra part you mentioned, is that necessary?

Or is there a similar card which won't require the mod. (Since I dn't want parts coming from all over the world, seems like a hassle)

fateastray, Oct 19, 2008
  8. fateastray

melhiore

It's not a big problem with all parts - and actually it's not any mod it is just extra antenna... I bought one for me and all delivery stuff was fantastic... But obviously there are some card using only two aerials and for them you do not need add anything extra. Look at this: http://www.oxfordtec.com/uk/MiniPCI-EXP ... index.html

melhiore, Oct 19, 2008
  9. fateastray

fateastray

Ah.

Sorry if I sound like a total dumbass, but I really know squat about networking. (Although network management is the next course at school lol!)

Could you recommend me one card, with optimal use and a low price, and I'll buy it. (trusting your judgment)

fateastray, Oct 19, 2008
  10. fateastray

melhiore

Thank you :)

In my case I chose Intel 5300 card as this one is 802.11 abgn. There are three antennas but as I mentioned before there was no problem with installing the third one. I chose Intel as Linux drivers are implemented in Kernel already and you do not need to use MadWiFi/ndiswrapper drivers.

Any of the cards will work very well with AA1 but it depends how much effort you want to put extra to run card under OS:

1. There is no problem with any WiFi card under Windows - just install drivers and software to manage card and voila...
    2. Under Linux there is more to do: Intel works out-of-the-box, Broadcom and Atheros chipsets needs MadWiFi, most of the cards will work with ndiswrapper driver but it's additional stuff to install - very easy but depends on you...

In my opinion Intel is just more universal... But as you use WinXP you can have what ever you want :)

melhiore, Oct 19, 2008
  11. fateastray

fateastray

If you say any of those will work, I will order this one.

http://www.oxfordtec.com/uk/p175/SparkL ... _info.html

It's very cheap, and I'm sure it will work. I'm a piss-poor student who just spent 300 euro's on a jacket. A network card may not be costy.

This one will work, I'm assuming..

fateastray, Oct 19, 2008
  12. fateastray

melhiore

Quite a good choice in my opinion. This card will work - I guarantee... :) Never used Sparklan cards but I believe there is nothing wrong with them - it's Atheros chipset.

melhiore, Oct 19, 2008
  13. fateastray

fateastray

I ordered it.

I will post results when I build it in.

Thanks for your help.

fateastray, Oct 19, 2008
  14. fateastray

fateastray

Crap!!

The card is working again....

The thing is, I had the mac-address of my Ethernet-card spoofed. It reset for some reason, result: no ethernet, not WiFi. Spoofed it again yesterday, and my WiFi worked! Right after I ordered the other card!! shucks!

However, a classmate is willing to take the card I ordered for the same price....So that's good, but ****!

fateastray, Oct 21, 2008
  15. fateastray

melhiore

Why??

Did you restarted AA1 in the meantime??

Glad you're happy. I believe there is some problem with spoofing operation or drivers... That was one of my first questions - were you really sure the card is faulty... But at the end of the day you have new experience ;)

melhiore, Oct 21, 2008
  16. fateastray

fateastray

I spoofed, because, at the house I'm living, like a dorm, the network is MAC-checked, and i was too lazy to send in a new MAC-address when i got the one.. :oops:

But you're right, now I know, however, when it started working, i was like "No..No! NO! You better fry within the minute, you piece of **** **** ******* **** *******!!"

fateastray, Oct 21, 2008
Ask a Question