WinXP on SSD with no soldering, etc. ?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by margol, Oct 9, 2008.

1. margol

margol

There are a lot of posts here devoted to replacing the slow AA1's SSD by faster SSDs or CFs. I have two left hands, so all of them get me scared.
    I heard about faster Samsung's SSD, which are installed on some of AA1s. I was told most, if not all AA1s purshased in Canada have the faster SSD.
    What about the US ? Does anybody know something about the new 16 GB model sold by Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834115508) ?
    What retailer in Canada could you recommend for ordering online from the US ?
    In this respect, I feel myself as Bouridane’s donkey: I equally like WinXP and SSD and as a result I am still AA1less :( .
    Many thanks.

margol, Oct 9, 2008
  2. margol

hbr

What about buying a disk-based AA1, and replace the 2.5" disk with some SSD? That could be done without soldering.

Or you can use WinXP with FAT32 on the "slow" SSDs. I remember some users having it with quite good performance.

hbr, Oct 9, 2008
  3. margol

margol

Yes, I've considered this option. But "some" SSD means the expensive one. Then I will, probably, prefer to await positive reviews on Everun Note.
    The HDD based AA1s (A150) are also bigger and heavier (more than 25% I beleive) than the SSD based ones (A110).
    Not quite good, just somewhat better than NTSC.

margol, Oct 9, 2008
  4. margol

margol

Selfcorrection: Not somewhat better, but significantly better. However, still pretty slow.

margol, Oct 9, 2008
Ask a Question