WinXP on SSD vs WinXP USB HD

Discussion in 'Windows' started by les0702, Sep 17, 2008.

1. les0702

les0702

I have an Acer One with the Linux version and 8GB SSD version.

I am planning to install WinXP on my SSD following the guides posted in this forum.

I first installed WinXP (SP2) on a USB HDD and so far its working w/o any problem. :D Not can I only boot XP from my USB HDD or boot Linux from my SSD but I can also compare 2 different OS from a single PC. Default Firefox browser seems to run faster/smoother though on my Linux setup compared to Firefox 3 on my XP setup.

My question is, if I replace linux on my 8GB SSD with WinXP (SP2) following the tips in this forum, will I notice any difference (speed, performance, the likes) as compared to my working WinXP (SP2) booted from my USB HDD?

:idea: To make it short, which is faster and better... WinXP booted from a USB HDD or WinXP booted from the Acer 1 8GB SSD

Tnx

les0702, Sep 17, 2008
  2. les0702

rory

cant say about windows as i never got it on my usb hdd, only tried vista and it wouldnt let me.
    anyway
    os x was about the same on both.
    Rory

rory, Sep 17, 2008
  3. les0702

daymz

XP will definitely be faster from the USB HDD. The SSD is really super-slow in writes, and that ruins it all.

daymz, Sep 17, 2008
  4. les0702

tot31

At last I can install XP on USB drive :D . All this time I've been trying to use a 4GB thumbdrive and it refused to install on it in AAO but it works in my desktop. Just now I took a 60GB external HDD, partitioned it to 15GB and formatted it to NTFS and voila it's installing it at the moment.

tot31, Sep 17, 2008
  5. les0702

les0702

Thanks for all your comments. I will retain my Linpus on my SSD and will just use my WinXP from my USB HDD.

Next i will try to install WinXP to a USB stick as having a USB HD dangling from the sides is somewhat annoying

les0702, Sep 21, 2008
Ask a Question