Windows XP

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by hobbo34, Mar 20, 2013.

1. hobbo34

hobbo34

I have an Acer Aspire One ZG5 with Ubuntu installed, I can't get my head round this OS. Would like to install Windows XP. How do I go about it, not really up in computer management so would appreciate a simple explanation of proceedure

hobbo34, Mar 20, 2013
  2. hobbo34

something back

goto http://www.freewarefiles.com Download a program called SUPER FDISK First delete the drive, and create a new fat 32 partition. then format using the format option. you will then be able to install any operating system.

something back, Mar 21, 2013
  3. hobbo34

SuperJulia

The most user friendly way to go about installing an operating system would have to be using an installation disc. After you acquire a bootable Windows XP installation disc, you would configure the system to boot from the disc. Its a simple process, as everything is in theory. The only potential trouble I see would involve partitioning and formatting the hard drive. Let me know if you need any general direction steering.

SuperJulia, Mar 15, 2014
  4. hobbo34

mikelouis

It will be tricky if this is the first time you are installing an operating system yourself. I would further recommend that you install Windows 7 since the support for XP is ending in April. In addition, it is much faster and easier to install Windows 7 than XP.

mikelouis, Mar 15, 2014
  5. hobbo34

gadgetised

I agree, I think you should go for Windows 7. The install process is a lot easier, faster and simpler. The Windows 7 OS is better in my opinion, and support for XP is just about to end.

gadgetised, Mar 15, 2014
  6. hobbo34

OhioTom76

Actually, I've found that this is not as easy as it may seem when coming from Ubuntu. I installed Ubuntu on one of my Dell laptops a few years ago, and wiped out my OEM backup partition in the process. When I tried to restore it from a bootable Windows XP disc, I couldn't get the computer to boot from the CD drive no matter what I did. I think the Ubuntu installation somehow wiped my hard drive and hardware settings completely clean because I had a hell of a time getting my computer to even recognize any of my other CD drives or USB ports. It was as if even the default drivers on the Windows disc weren't even working. If I recall correctly I think I had to put the Windows installation on a USB stick instead when booting.

OhioTom76, Mar 15, 2014
Ask a Question