Windows on SD or USB?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by skateasian, Jul 16, 2008.

1. skateasian

skateasian

Because of everyone's problems (slowness) with Windows XP on this type of SSD, would it be possible or practical to have the entire OS on a 8gig SD class 6 card and/or 8gig usb? or is that ridiculous and would be even slower? is it even possible to boot?

skateasian, Jul 16, 2008
  2. skateasian

Mark83

it's not possible to boot from SD-card

Mark83, Jul 16, 2008
  3. skateasian

skateasian

what about USB?
    if the aspire one "adds" the SD card to the hard disk space with their special slot, would it still not be possible to boot?

skateasian, Jul 16, 2008
  4. skateasian

Mark83

i'm not sure but i think usb could work.

the sd-card-slot isn't available as boot device because it needs drivers, thats the problem. hdd/sdd and usb can be selected in bios, so usb works as boot device, but with xp?!

Mark83, Jul 16, 2008
  5. skateasian

Arneh

It should be possible, in theory, to install to a USB flash by first installing Windows to the SSD then copying the install to a USB Flash. Of course you have to make a few modifications before the install. See http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:installxp, that's a guide on installing XP to an SD for the Eee but since I guess the SD slot can't be booted on the One (or can it?), you could probably use the same method but instead copy it over to a USB flash and then boot from it.

Arneh, Jul 16, 2008
  6. skateasian

skateasian

thanks for the guide.
    would using an external device like this be horrible for battery life?
    haha, mark you don't think its worth doing with xp? sometimes...i need a little..compatibility. but i dont want to clog up the 8gb SSD. I haven't decided if i want to keep linpus lite or install ubuntu on the ssd, but definitely not xp since it's not known to work very well.
    would xp be even worse on say a usb?

skateasian, Jul 17, 2008
  7. skateasian

Arneh

There are some very fast USB drives such as the Corsair Flash Voyager GT and a few others so it might run pretty decently, never tried it personally though.

Arneh, Jul 17, 2008
  8. skateasian

Mark83

no, i didn't mean that. i just wanted to say that i'm not sure if it will work with xp on the usb-drive.

i ordered the one with ssd and i'm not sure if i will keep linux or install xp. but i'll give linux a try...for my plans (internet and office) linux should do.

Mark83, Jul 17, 2008
Ask a Question