Windows Media Player Question

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by LindaY, Mar 8, 2009.

1. LindaY

LindaY

Hi, I have been looking at the different topics and don't see mine addressed. If I am in the wrong place, can you please direct me to the correct topic? Thanks.

I bought the Acer 1588 last week. I decided on the SD card version because I just wanted something to tuck under my arm or take away for a weekend without toting my laptop. Anyway, I tried to play an .avi of a movie today and although the sound came in just fine, I could only get those dopey "visualization" things, not the picture. Do I need to update Windows Media Player or am I simply missing a codec? If it is the latter, does anyone know what codec I need? Thanks.

LindaY, Mar 8, 2009
  2. LindaY

PaKelley

Likely the problem is missing codec. I use Cole 2k Media codec pack on my computers. It contains all of the codec that most people use. I use the standard pack on my AA1 and have no problems playing anything.

http://www.cole2k.net/

I also use Media Player 10 since I don't like DRM used in MP11.

Good Luck

PaKelley, Mar 8, 2009
  3. LindaY

darenm

darenm, Mar 10, 2009
  4. LindaY

maxpower2003

Agreed. I use VLC on my Acer. I haven't even installed WMP yet. It's crap (based on using it on my desktop PC). And it never plays AVI files correctly...even with DivX codec installed for it.

maxpower2003, Mar 11, 2009
  5. LindaY

jackluo923

It doesn't play avi files because you don't know how avi files work. You don't know which codec to use and how to install them.
    AVI is a file container which can contain many different types of formats. E.g. MPEG4, H.264, Flash,...etc
    DIVX codec only decodes mpeg2 and mpeg4 or variant codec. If you don't have the right codec, you can't play the video. BTW.. you'll need to configure WMP to use the installed codec too. If you don't specify which codec to use, WMP won't use it.

The best multipurpose codec is ffmpeg. It decodes almost everything. VLC, Kmplayer, gom player, m player.....etc all use ffmpeg codec to decode videos. For h.264 videos, I prefer coreavc codec. It allows me to play 720P and 1080P videos on my AAO. smoothly on battery power. :lol:

jackluo923, Mar 12, 2009
Ask a Question