Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ElendilE, Jan 25, 2016.

1. ElendilE

ElendilE

Which one of these two operating systems is better? And why? What are their advantages and disadvantages over one another? Or are they basically the same thing with changed skins? And finally, which one would you prefer running in your home computer?

ElendilE, Jan 25, 2016
  2. ElendilE

something back

Welcome to the laptop forums site

This is only my personal assessment.

Windows 8.1 was an incomplete partly rushed through operating system.

When it was released it did not take into account the different drivers
    required.

Windows 10 is a more stable operating system which Microsoft will
    be supporting for the next ten years.

The Windows 10 platform will be receiving not only more security
    updates but many more enhancements.

Over time it will grow into a more user friendly system, however it
    is still a long term work in progress.

For me it has to many parts of the operating system that report back to Microsoft, but I am using it

something back, Jan 25, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. ElendilE

thess

I've heard conflicting opinions on Windows 10. I decided not to upgrade to that because I like what I have now. But I heard Windows will force its users to upgrade to 10 soon anyway. We'll see.

thess, Jan 25, 2016
  4. ElendilE

Sefie

Something back is right, but I personally prefer to use Windows 8.1 ;) Because as he said Windows 10 has a lot potential to be a great OS, but it's really far from that at the moment. That is why I'll not be upgrading anytime soon, will wait until I buy a new laptop and take it from there.

Sefie, Jan 25, 2016
  5. ElendilE

PingPongCall

If I was ever forced to choose between the two, I guess I would have to go with Windows 10. 8.1 gave me far too many problems in the short time that I had used it. I enjoyed the interface and driver functionality it offered, but outside of that, it was pretty much garbage.

PingPongCall, Jan 27, 2016
  6. ElendilE

vinaya

I have not used Windows 10, however, after using Windows 8.1, I will never recommend this operating system to anyone. There were many problems in Windows 8.1

vinaya, Jan 27, 2016
  7. ElendilE

PingPongCall

That's funny, I find difficulty in suggesting any OS that's not Windows XP to people. The only reason I even suggest Windows 7 is because XP is no longer supported officially.

PingPongCall, Jan 28, 2016
  8. ElendilE

something back

Only Windows 8.1 and windows 10 are supported

something back, Jan 28, 2016
  9. ElendilE

PingPongCall

Audible Gasp. I had no idea.....Well shit, it seems like it's all down hill from here then.

PingPongCall, Jan 29, 2016
  10. ElendilE

Ian Administrator

Windows 10 all the way for me - I really didn't like Windows 8.1 at all (although marginally better than 8!). As @something back mentioned, Windows 10 is going to be around for the long haul - so it's a very worthwhile upgrade IMO. As it's free to upgrade from 7/8, it's even more appealing.

Ian, Jan 29, 2016
  11. ElendilE

PingPongCall

I enjoy 10 so far but I really don't like the position they are putting people into by forcing them to upgrade or risk security issues.

PingPongCall, Jan 29, 2016
  12. ElendilE

IcyBC

My son just took his Window laptop to have it cleaned out as it was running really slow. He is still using Window 8.1 and he likes how it works out for him. He won't be upgrading to Window 10 any time soon since he will be working on a cruise ship!

IcyBC, Feb 1, 2016
  13. ElendilE

GearZ

If I had to choose, I guess 10, as of this writing. I don't care for either, to be candid. Though they are more stable now and Classic Shell does away with some of the more obnoxious UI elements in both.

GearZ, Feb 1, 2016
  14. ElendilE

obliviousme

I'm really happy with Windows 10 so far, i haven't encountered major issues or anything so i don't have have any regrets for updating. Windows 8 was fine the metro style was kind of a hassle for me so i'm glad i don't have to deal with that in Windows 10.

obliviousme, Apr 27, 2016
  15. ElendilE

OursIsTheFury

Sorry but I still think Windows 7 is still the best, as it is tried and tested after many years. Why fix what isn't broken, I always say. W7 has been a very good operating system, and they still give updates on it, so why upgrade to a totally new system with new sets of rules and even layouts? The only time I will ever switch is if they would stop providing support for W7 and phase it out like Windows XP. Until that day comes, I'm not going anywhere.

OursIsTheFury, Apr 29, 2016
Ask a Question