windows 7 starter to home premium

Discussion in 'Windows' started by peter225673, Jan 14, 2010.

1. peter225673

peter225673

HI IS IT WORTH UPGRADEING FROM STARTER TO HOME PREMIUM

peter225673, Jan 14, 2010
  2. peter225673

Nambleruk

To be perfectly honest, and this is purely my opinion, no.

Microsoft withdrew the three app limit originally applied to the starter edition and with the tweaks needed to provide speed and keep some of the 'pretty bits' when using home premium you end up somewhere near the starter edition OS.

Its a personal thing, I currently run the full home premium as mine originally came with linpus linux. But have had to tweak services and visual effects to maintain a decent speed. All are completely reversable tweaks. I run an unmodified aoa150ab with a sd card in the expansion slot providing 3gb readyboost.

The thing to take into consideration is, is it worth it to you to spend the amount required to perform the upgrade for the extras you get?

It will run and run well, mine does. It has to be your choice.

Nambleruk, Jan 15, 2010
  3. peter225673

lovemyg1

Hello My name is Daniel, I am a new netbook user with some concerns about this toy,here I go with the first one.

I am sure you are right but my Acer with Windows 7 Starter is very,very sluggish,specially when watching movies and I slide my finger on the touchpad....the picture quality gets pretty bad,it skips,the computer slows down etc.....Now is a little better since I upgraded the ram (2gb,it came with 1gb).
    The only thing I thought about was a fresh Windows 7 Home Premium installation.

What do you think?

Thanks so much.

lovemyg1, Jan 16, 2010
  4. peter225673

Jules Tohpipi

I purchased a full retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium and installed it on my 160GB AA1. Performance was frustratingly slow, even for simple tasks. Was just about to give up and return to XP, but then gave Tiny7 a go instead. Tiny7 works a dream and the AA1 is flying and stable even on only 512MB of RAM. Works much faster than friend's 10" Acer netbook with W7 starter pre-installed.

Jules Tohpipi, Jan 26, 2010
Ask a Question