Windows 7 install fails to 32GB SSD

Discussion in 'Windows' started by kaldek, Aug 4, 2009.

1. kaldek

kaldek

Hi folks,

I have upgraded my Aspire One to a RunCore 32GB SSD. It fits in the slot, and boots Linux fine.

However if I try to install Windows 7, it gets to the first reboot (after installing all the files) and then says:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

File: \Windows\system32\config\system
    Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

There's basically nothing I can do to make it boot after this. The files are there - I can boot using the Windows 7 DVD or a USB token and see them, but the boot process in Windows 7 just can't seem to see the files.

Anyone else had a similar problem??

kaldek, Aug 4, 2009
  2. kaldek

sandydoull

Do you have a link to guide on how to install a new SSD, on the AA1, I haven't been able to find one on the net? Does if affect the warranty? Have you also upgraded the RAM to cope with windows?

sandydoull, Aug 4, 2009
  3. kaldek

kaldek

Hi Sandy,

Apologies - no link on how to do this as I just used previous experience in pulling the AA1 apart. Quite literally, the replacement SSD fits in the exact same slot as the 8GB drive and even uses the same cable. It is happily detected by the BIOS and any version of Windows or DOS you care to mention as a regular PATA (IDE) drive. I have now installed Windows XP on it, since WIndows 7 was having problems, and it's a rocket!

I upgraded this system to 1.5GB of memory some time ago - it is a ZG5 (Aspire One 110) model which original had the 8GB flash and 512MB onboard memory.

If you're really looking for information or assistance on replacing your own SSD, I'm happy to help directly if you like?

kaldek, Aug 5, 2009
Ask a Question