Windows 10 updated and messed me up!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by acheno84, Jun 3, 2016.

1. acheno84

acheno84

Windows 10 did an update the other day for me and now, no matter what I do, it still tells me to "Activate Windows" at the bottom of my screen. It's been activated for months! Why would I need to activate something that's built into the computer and has been since the beginning of this tower's existence? Anyone else have this issue?

acheno84, Jun 3, 2016
  2. acheno84

something back

Go to the “setting” section, and then the “update and security” section then choose activate.

something back, Jun 3, 2016
  3. acheno84

vinaya

I was using windows 7 and when windows 8 was out and was talk of the town, I also upgraded to windows 8. Since my system was old, windows 8 did not survive long on my computer, my computer crashed. I did not use windows 8 again. Until I buy another computer I will continue to use windowsn7.

vinaya, Jun 6, 2016
  4. acheno84

fcuco

Let me ask you something, not judging or anything like that, but was your copy of windows 7 (or 8) legit before you updated to windows 10?. This is very weird because, as far as I know, only legit copies of windows 7 were elegible for the updated to windows 10, a least the free one. Is your machine a brand computer that came with the OEM version of the operating system or was a clone machine that you bought?

fcuco, Jun 6, 2016
  5. acheno84

judyd1

Windows 8 had so many issues--it's the reason they brought out 8.1 and then patches for problems, and finally, just in time--Windows 10.

Someday, when Windows 150 is created, it will be a perfect OS and we will wonder how we every survived without it. Either that, or someone will invent an operating system that doesn't ever need to be "fixed" again.

I won't be holding my breath until then.

judyd1, Jun 7, 2016
  6. acheno84

fcuco

Windows 10 is the last windows, they basically wen the OSX way: a single version of the operating system with incremental and frequent updates, there is not going to be a Windows 11, after Windows 10 Microsoft is moving directly towards a software as a service model.

These are not some "secret" plans that they have, that's the information they released to the press, that's their strategy now.

fcuco, Jun 9, 2016
  7. acheno84

acheno84

It was a legit copy that came with the PC. Weird now because it kept telling me that it couldn't update anything, and then it magically updated and now the little memo at the bottom of the screen is gone. I don't get it. But this is the song of my people. Not much shocks me anymore! Haha

acheno84, Jun 9, 2016
  8. acheno84

SirJoe

Just one more issue with windows 10. It certain is buggy. I have had my fair share of windows 10 bugs, I have gotten to the point that I just go with the flow. When ever I "suffer" an update I know that there are going to be some bugs that will arise.

SirJoe, Jun 12, 2016
  9. acheno84

UpgradeMe

Just use linux. Switched over to mint, absolutely in love. Windows lost a ton of customers with this 10 nonsense, totally the wrong approach to force a bad OS on people and tell them they need it.

UpgradeMe, Jun 12, 2016
  10. acheno84

SirJoe

Glad to hear that, there are still people that think of Linux like it was 20 years ago. Linux mint is a good choice it's light and fast and graphically speaking it's a good looking operating system. Did you go with mate or cinnamon?

SirJoe, Jun 22, 2016
  11. acheno84

UpgradeMe

I went with cinnamon because I didn't understand the difference between the two when I started, I was kind of just thinking DURKA DUR F*** WINDOWS because windows update was giving me this horrible CPU "leak" even though it wasn't on. Hidden on an svchost, slowly draining my cpu over time until it would literally hit 100%, become crippled and I'd have to reboot and try to find the leak...took a very long time because it would hang at 7~8% and then start jumping quickly, meaning I had like a 10 minute window to realize it was happening (hard to do when you're busy) and once it was in full force, my laptop turned into a laggy powerpoint presentation.

And so I just clicked whichever because I didn't get the differences, now I like cinnamon and I'm not interested in messing with anything quite yet. :)

UpgradeMe, Jun 22, 2016
Ask a Question