Will Windows 7 be obsolete soon?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Corzhens, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens

For the Windows users, what is your take on the Windows 7? A colleague said that Microsoft is finalizing its plan to remove support for the Windows 7 and probably Windows 8 as well. They want Windows 10 to be a landmark OS that is like the Windows XP which are still being used until now. And if that happens, there would be a free upgrade to Windows 10 for the Windows 7 users. However, it's not that simple to shift to another OS because it has the usual complications. Our home computer is running on Windows XP because some programs wouldn't run properly when Windows 7 was installed.

Corzhens, Feb 23, 2016
    SirJoe and IBMPC8088 like this.
  2. Corzhens

IBMPC8088

I may need to extend out more to help people move to linux or virtualize XP or 7.

Microsoft is gutting their own software and users to force Windows 9 in such a terrible way that I wouldn't be surprised if they lose up to 50% more than they already have due to this.

If your system still runs XP, I would keep XP on it. Also look into vmware, virtualbox.org or qemu to be able to run any software you need that forces you to have 7. If your XP system specs are able to run a basic copy of 7, you can do that and just share files between it in a box over XP without having to change much or anything for it for now.

IBMPC8088, Feb 23, 2016
  3. Corzhens

ProNine

I wouldn't say it will become obsolete. Many users, and I mean many, are really pleased with the interface of Windows 7 and are really comfortable with it. Plus, there seems to be great support for W7 up until today. Maybe not for 4 more years at least.

ProNine, Feb 25, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. Corzhens

SirJoe

I haven't heard this yet but it doesn't surprise me at all. If you have a old computer and it's running well with windows xp, I don't recommend you upgrading to windows 7 or 10. It will make your computer much slower.
    It's preferable to save up a little money and buy a entry level computer with windows 10 already installed.

SirJoe, Feb 25, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  5. Corzhens

IcyBC

Isn't it in the work already? I remembered reading it on some threads in this forum and that Microsoft will only support 8.1 and 10 in the future. It is a bit sad that we, the consumers, don't have a choice in keeping what is already working for us.

IcyBC, Feb 25, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. Corzhens

IBMPC8088

You're right, but you know you really do have a choice; it's a collective choice both nationally and globally to where the decision is made through your purchasing power.

Collectively speaking, financial decision of the consumer is a powerful way for you to vote on or veto a corporation's power over what you use and how..

If people refused to buy what Microsoft released that they do not want, their power to do this to you and other consumers would start to disappear.

If people took it a step further and went to linux, bsd, OS X, or some other operating system that meets their needs and decided to change to something like that rather than downgrade to the latest forced tragedy, the public might be able to control the direction of how much and what they get, rather than having to endure servitude to corporations through what they are forced to buy and use.

IBMPC8088, Feb 28, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  7. Corzhens

SirJoe

Changing to a newer version of windows isn't just getting used to the new environment, which in the case of windows 7 users will find windows 10 a breeze. There is a real issue with older drivers. If you are thinking of upgrading, you have to weigh the pro's and the con's.

SirJoe, Mar 5, 2016
  8. Corzhens

Personablue

There is just no reason to stick with Windows 7 nor Windows 8. Windows 10 has the best of both worlds and moreover it is a free upgrade. If your hardware could support Windows 7 then Windows 10 would be supported too. Not to mention the new DirectX 12. If you are a gamer then Windows 10 is a must.
    Also it has much faster booting time, not much different from win 8 but a large improvement over windows 7.

Personablue, Mar 6, 2016
  9. Corzhens

Sefie

I don't think so, but if MS stop supporting it soon, that will not be the end of the world, just like it happened to Windows XP users. I will not stop using Windows 8.1 no matter what, the only way I will ever switch is once this laptop breaks down.

Sefie, Mar 12, 2016
  10. Corzhens

vinaya

I don't think Windows 7 will become obselete because there are people like me who upgraded to Windows 8 and after using it for couple of months, resorted back to Windows 7.

vinaya, Mar 12, 2016
  11. Corzhens

fcuco

Microsoft is trying their best to upgrade everybody, if you continue to use windows 7 they will continue to pester you with the upgrade pop up thingy, I guess you can disable it but I don't have the time to start looking around the solution and for now I deal with it by simply ignoring it. I went into a windows 10 update rampage on all my windows machines but started having some issues so I never updated my main driver, then all this information about windows 10 being a privacy nightmare started surfacing so I refuse to update to windows 10 anymore and will never do it for my main desktop no matter how much they bother me with it.

I wonder if they will have the guts to simply force everybody to update some point in the future.

fcuco, Mar 12, 2016
  12. Corzhens

ForeverANewbie

I don't think it will become obsolete in the foreseeable future. Windows 7 is a very stable OS which is being used by a very large portion of Microsoft's users. They won't end support for Windows 7 until 2020.

ForeverANewbie, Mar 16, 2016
  13. Corzhens

Fermin420

It shouldn't be obsolete until 2020 when they stop giving it support. But what exactly giving support means? I wouldn't be surpriced if they start realeasing applications only supported by Windows10 soon, and only give windows7 basic systems updates. Its all about forcing people into installing windows10 now.

Fermin420, Apr 2, 2016
  14. Corzhens

UpgradeMe

All operating systems have to be updated, so the answer to this is yes. However, it definitely seems like Windows is rubbing people the wrong way, and they have been the best advertisers for Linux that I've ever seen. They are reaching too deep into the cookie jar and instead of making a product that people like, forcing it onto them for "free," though I doubt that's really what it is.

UpgradeMe, Apr 2, 2016
  15. Corzhens

c3300

The problem is that 'obsolete' doesn't mean people stop using it. The oldest machine I have seen in a live production environment ran MS-DOS 6. That was this decade, and it is still in use because the company never found something to replace the key product it runs. XP still has a huge market share. (I still think MS missed a trick by not announcing the end of free support and charging a minor fee per month or year for updates. They'd have made a packet.)

With the privacy concerns over Windows 10, many people are reluctant to upgrade and a few that have upgraded have been asking me to roll back to 7 after files and drivers broke. Several have switched to Linux, and I've had far more people ask about that in the last few months than in the last few years. MS really do seem to be forcing users to make a choice, and with Android or other alternatives on the market, it is not always going their way.

Obsolence isn't going to stop people using an OS they like.

c3300, Apr 2, 2016
  16. Corzhens

jamesbonner

well I still running windows 7 and I never upgraded to windows 8 or windows 10, I really love windows 7 and I don't think that I'll update to Windows 10 even if it is free, and I don't care about their support ! they can't just force us

jamesbonner, Apr 3, 2016
  17. Corzhens

Edwinrai

I hope not. I was planning on upgrading to Windows 7. I've stuck with XP because I like the stability it offers but I don't like the driver compatibility issues and other problems that come with a new OS.

Edwinrai, Apr 3, 2016
  18. Corzhens

artyarson

I guess it's gonna be, as Microsoft puts out a lot of new stuff nowadays. Windows 7 was released on October 22, 2009, which is pretty long time ago. There has been a bit of technological breakthrough since then. The rise of Apple, for example.

However, as we all remember, Microsoft stopped making updates to WinXP only a few years ago. The same story could happen to Win7 in like 5 years. So, there is not much stuff to worry about now.

artyarson, Apr 3, 2016
  19. Corzhens

SirJoe

They certainly are doing that, I think they are scared that people will move away from it so they are forcing windows 10 onto people. I personally don't mind it but I still have a windows 7 iso so I can always install it again if I want to.

SirJoe, Apr 4, 2016
  20. Corzhens

ElegantMew

I do not think Windows 7 will be obsolete any time soon, as I actually know several, and I mean several people who still prefer Windows 7 or 10 even, therefore it still has a long life span.

ElegantMew, Apr 11, 2016
Ask a Question