Will It Work Out Of The Box ?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Dexter, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Dexter

Dexter

Hi All
    Im thinking of buying an Aspire One with the 120gb hard drive for crimbo, I have zero kowledge of Linux and will be only using the beast for word Processing and running a couple of databases so I dont want to mess about adding extra ram etc.
    Will it run ok out of the box or will I be spending xmas updating things and if thats the case what will I need to update ?Yours Chris

Dexter, Dec 13, 2008
  2. Dexter

info

Hello Dexter,
    For the uses that you have stated I think it will work out of the box. However, there are a couple of things to consider. Some of the "older" 120 Gig machines have older an older BIOS and you have a greater possibility of running into problems where you may have to update this and that driver or software (in other words: a bigger chance of getting a buggy machine). Acer seems to be replacing the 120s with 160s so if you get a 160 I believe you will probably have a newer machine with less likelihood of having problems. Another thing to think about is: if you don't have a good working knowledge of Linux you may be getting yourself into a configuration nightmare, Linux is not for the faint of heart.

I would recommend the XP, 1Gig RAM, 160Gig HD which is mature and works and which for a few dollars more will probably impress the heck out of you (a full fledged implementation of XP in a fully functioanal computer which runs better than computers costing two or three times as much). This is my own opinion of course, I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Read the reviews here.

Good Luck!

info, Dec 13, 2008
  3. Dexter

goofball

you're not the only one that buys it, opens it, and starts to use it. I'm sure it would be fine but that depends on your expectations, i imagine.

goofball, Dec 13, 2008
  4. Dexter

DiSK

Buy the XP version. If you have zero Linux knowledge, it'll take awhile to get used to. And you'll get really pissed off a lot. So just stick with the XP if you want it to work out of the box.

DiSK, Dec 20, 2008
Ask a Question