WiFi Signal Strength

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vip57, Jan 22, 2009.

1. vip57

vip57

I heard that the WiFi/WLAN of my Aspire One has a way to adjust the Signal Strength of the WLAN. If this is so, How do I do it?

I understand that the Output signal of the wifi is adjustable with numeric settings. I read this, and would like to know if it is possible.

vip57, Jan 22, 2009
  2. vip57

melhiore

Where you read about this?? Received signal can be amplified by good quality aerial - mostly external...

melhiore, Jan 22, 2009
  3. vip57

nmesisca

I think the setting is directly linked to the power setting mode. For Max power save, you should have less range. And the other way around.

nmesisca, Jan 22, 2009
  4. vip57

vip57

I seem to remember the power save mode. I don't plan to worry much about this, I will have it powered by a power supply in my car.

Thanks. I will try to find how to adjust the power save mode. If you know, maybe you could post the info?

vip57, Jan 23, 2009
  5. vip57

heckufaguy

although I've yet to see it in wifi cards, there are many radio technologies that reduce transmit power if the signal received is very strong.
    It'd be neat to see in wifi, but since that's only a portion of what's using your power, I wouldn't expect a noticeable change.

heckufaguy, Jan 23, 2009
  6. vip57

nmesisca

You can chenge the Power settings if you go in the Properties of the Network Card. In the Advanced tab you should see a voice in the listbox.

nmesisca, Jan 23, 2009
  7. vip57

vip57

I found it where you said it was. The settings were 3, Maximum, Normal, and Off. I don't plan to use it in the power save mode, so I turned that off.

Thanks for all your help.

vip57, Jan 23, 2009
Ask a Question