wifi router "invisibility"

Discussion in 'Linux' started by cinijast, Dec 28, 2008.

1. cinijast

cinijast

Let me explain , i bought an acer one a110 laptop at currys on boxing day , i liked it but i found the defualt operating system very limiting in a mont or so i will put windows on it (complicated story) but for now i wanted something that just worked so i instaled fedora 10 . i was pleased to se that wifi and etherenet worked after i installed the mad wifi drivers. so i tryed connecting to my wireless router , but it wasnt there, every other wireless router was there but my one was missing .

It isnt the first time ive encountered this problem , for example when my hard drive (it was my windows wireless pc ) died i needed some way of staying on line so i ran ubuntu from a memory stick for a while. I got my wifi card working and i saw all the usual hot spots but again my router was missing , this is really weird and very fustrtaing .

Its a WGR614 net gear router , its set to wep security at the moment wiht a 9 digit password .

If its a command line jobbie please bear in mind im 13 and although i am getting to grips with linux dont really understand that side of things.

I think linux hates my router lol.

cinijast, Dec 28, 2008
  2. cinijast

melhiore

What about SSID settings in router?? Is router broadcasting "visible" name??

melhiore, Dec 28, 2008
  3. cinijast

cinijast

yes as on my windows pc it is perfectly visible and in fact im posting this message over the same network so its clearly working for everything but linux and just to add it worked fine wiht the origional linpus lite os. :lol:

cinijast, Dec 28, 2008
  4. cinijast

cinijast

to add a new diection to the thread , could i route wifi from my router to my pc and then from my pc to my laptop , my pc is windows xp

cinijast, Dec 28, 2008
  5. cinijast

melhiore

Not really. In that case you need two separate Wi-Fi cards in your desktop... On top of that you need Wi-Fi card capable of working as Access Point - not all of them doing that. Obviously you can set second card as Ad-Hoc Network and try but still in one PC you need two cards...

melhiore, Dec 28, 2008
  6. cinijast

cinijast

the laptops is capable as running as an acess point and repetaer but my desktop isnt so no luck , would changing the security settings help at all maybe it dosent recognize wep i have a saturday job in a computer shop and ive seen this before

cinijast, Dec 28, 2008
  7. cinijast

melhiore

You can try but TBH I did not see that before either. Fanny thing is on one machine is OK on second is not. In my home network it works "normally" w/o this kind of hiccup...

melhiore, Dec 28, 2008
  8. cinijast

cinijast

im currently connected with a cossover cable to the abck of my pc and its woking but its not ideal , im installing mad wifi drivers i ll lket you know if this helps :0

cinijast, Dec 28, 2008
  9. cinijast

cinijast

a little update mad wifi drivers didnt help a bit

cinijast, Dec 28, 2008
Ask a Question