Wifi keeps dying - how to get swapout?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by gadgetmind, Jan 8, 2009.

1. gadgetmind

gadgetmind

We have an A110L and the wifi keeps totally disappearing. And I mean totally - the card doesn't even show in lspci, a reboot doesn't fix it, and you need to actually shutdown and reboot. Still happens with BIOS 3309

We got the unit from PC World online in the UK. Am I better getting it swapped out by PC World or contacting Acer?

Ian

gadgetmind, Jan 8, 2009
  2. gadgetmind

gadgetmind

Hmmm, I emailed Acer and they replied -

------------------
    We have been made aware of the network icon issue in Linpus Linux , and have been provided with a temporary workaround, while the software vendor investigates this issue. Please follow the steps below:
    1. Open the terminal by "ALT+F2" and then type "terminal" ->Run.
    2 Run "mv ~/.gconf/system/networking ~/" to clear all the root network connections.

There is one space between mv and ~ and one space between networking and ~

After doing this, it will not have "ANY" network connections that may have been previously setup in network manager.
    Reboot the unit and the network icon will appear. You will need to configure your network again.
    -------------------

Sounds bogus to me, but easy enough to do it, even if just to humour them.

Ian

gadgetmind, Jan 9, 2009
  3. gadgetmind

othomas

My model number is ZG5 the wifi comes on fine and stays for quite a while, not timed, but seems variable. Then it disconnects and will not reconnect until I shut down and reboot. I acquired external drive and reloaded the system but the problem remains.

Some times the system just disconnects from wireless modem. It is not the wireless, a windows system in same room is online all day. The problem seems to be with the delivered Linux system.

I have workaround. Take a break and reboot. Not very satisfactory!

othomas, Jan 12, 2009
  4. gadgetmind

gadgetmind

Well, I tried Acer's work-around, and as expected, it didn't work. The wifi worked fine for a day or so, and then the wifi disappeared from the PCI bus until the machine was power cycled.

Duff hardware.

Ian

gadgetmind, Jan 13, 2009
  5. gadgetmind

maltloaf

I couldnt live with the wireless card being unreliable so I installed a broadcom chipset one (actually a genuine apple airport card). Never seen a problem since.

maltloaf, Jan 13, 2009
  6. gadgetmind

gadgetmind

Where did you get the driver for this?
    Ian

gadgetmind, Jan 13, 2009
  7. gadgetmind

maltloaf

apologies i wasnt clear, im running vista, osx and windows 7, i was just commenting on the benefits of replacing the atheros card

maltloaf, Jan 13, 2009
  8. gadgetmind

gadgetmind

Interestingly, I moved the folder just as described, but did NOT lose my network connections. I therefore didn't need to reconfigure anything.

The ~/.gconf/system/networking folder has not been recreated.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Ian

gadgetmind, Jan 13, 2009
Ask a Question