Wifi does not work on kernel 2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10.i686

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jhedrotten, Jan 31, 2009.

1. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

Yes, I have set automatic security updates and after the new kernel is installed, the wifi light failed to work, and under Network->Hardware, the Atheros Communications card is not there anymore! Plus when I click on the Network Manager applet on the panel, it does not have options for wireless, only wired.

So I did myself a favor and went to the Bootloader configuration and chose my previous kernel as default. Any ideas on WHY is that? I mean explanations on why the new kernel seems to have limited support? Thanks.

jhedrotten, Jan 31, 2009
  2. jhedrotten

jcm

The latest update of the kernel works fine in conjunction with wifi on my AA1...touch plastic. Mind you, I haven't installed every update available, so there's a possibility that one of those is conflicting in some way with the atheros driver. Try disabling bluetooth in Services, reboot and see if your atheros driver/hardware is detected then.

The wifi lights don't work on my AA1 as I haven't got the madwifi driver installed.

jcm, Jan 31, 2009
  3. jhedrotten

poesje

Most likely your madwifi package wasn't updated so the madwifi driver is failing. It should be possible to use the ath5k driver with that kernel (but lights won't work).

By my experience the new madwifi driver has bad reception. So I manually installed the latest madwifi build from source (including monitoring patch in order to use aircrack).

poesje, Jan 31, 2009
  4. jhedrotten

HappyHarry

if you use the 2.6.28-4 kernel from koji (which has the latest wireless testing patches) aircrack-ng works perfectly on the one with ath5k, including fragmentation and injection :)

HappyHarry, Jan 31, 2009
  5. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

Thanks so much for trying to help guys, but it was my bad. After installing all the updates available, I tried booting with the new kernel and it was working now. Sorry guys, I should've done a complete update before complaining. lol :lol:

jhedrotten, Jan 31, 2009
  6. jhedrotten

jknights

I'm runningg the Fed10 install off the Jan 2009 edition of LinuxFormat mag.
    Kernel 2.6.27.5-117.fc10.i686

Once you have done the SystemUpdate then the Wifi runs but the Encryption options are limited.
    I have to run WEP and only 64bit to get it to hook up to my ADSL router.
    Everything else seems to work OK.

I now need to get some mp3 codecs.

jknights, Feb 1, 2009
Ask a Question