WIFI connection, but no visible network or internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by crishog, Jan 8, 2009.

1. crishog

crishog

Working on a friend's netbook. I can connect to my network via the wired ethernet connection, browse the Internet (I am doing so now) & use pyNeighborhood to see my LinkStation (Dolphin wouldn't work for me, but pyNeighorhood is fine).

However, if I switch to wirless it "connects" to my network, but I cannot browse the LinkStation, nor can I connect to the Internet. I have managed to ping the netbook from a desktop (but only once).

I have put in a static IP for the wireless connection.

It takes priority over the wired, even though wired is higher in the preferences order.

Any ideas as to why my connection is strong & apparently successful, but I cannot use the network at all?

Chris

crishog, Jan 8, 2009
  2. crishog

Rich in ILM

Are you sure you are you using the proper security password? You can connect but won't exchange traffic with a wrong password. Compltetely delete the SSID on your friends computer and start over.
    Also are you sure you aren't restricting mac connections on your router?
    If you haven't, reboot the router with at least 30 seconds power off. Sometimes routers have a glitch where they just won't assign an IP to a WiFi connection.

Rich in ILM, Jan 8, 2009
  3. crishog

crishog

It's odder than that.

I disabled my MAC filtering before starting, just in case it interfered.

I can't connect without WEP.

I have only 128 bit WEP, but if I set the correct pass string & "open" it connects, but without visible shares or internet - though as you say if i set the wrong string it also "connects". It must be a security setting, or why else would it fail with all security disabled on my router?

I guess that correct SSID, WEP, OPEN & even the right pass string don't quite match to Channel 11, same SSID, 128 bit WEP & the same pass string.

A Belkin 11g/11b mixed hub by the way

crishog, Jan 9, 2009
  4. crishog

crishog

Sorted!

I was putting in the pass string for my router, but if I key in the hex pairs instead (no space separation) it works.

So in summary, belkin hub 11b/11g mixed, 128-bit wep. On the Acer selected the right SSID, pick WEP, OPEN & key in the hex pairs generated on the router.

crishog, Jan 10, 2009
  5. crishog

crishog

I spoke too soon. When the wirless network was running it interferred with thr wired connection so I couldn't connect to the Internet with both active. I have managed to halt that interference, but the wireless won't work on its own.

Well not fully. I can now see the management pages of the router & linkstation, but I can get to a shared network resource or the internet.

Still, if I can see the router, then the wirless network IS properly connected & there must be some other security issue with the wireless

crishog, Jan 10, 2009
  6. crishog

crishog

I really ought to experiment a bit more before posting. Replugged the wired network, checked verything. unplugged & restarted wireless. Now it DOES all work!

Be patient is the key

crishog, Jan 10, 2009
Ask a Question