WiFi card drivers

Discussion in 'Linux' started by PeteS, Apr 1, 2011.

1. PeteS

PeteS

Hi
    I am after some help please. After changing my BT home hub for a new one I found that my Aspire one would not connect via Wi-Fi. All other devices in the house work fine. Doing a bit of reading on the forum it was clear the issue was with the Atheros Wi-Fi card. So following the good instructions in how to physically open the unit up and change the card , I did so and replaced it with the recommended one a Intel 4965AGN. The Acer boots up fine but the Wi-Fi doesn’t connect, as I have no idea how to load the Linux card drivers provided with the Intel drivers.

So is there any one out there who can help me please?

Unit details

Aspire one AOA150
    Linpus Linux lite v 1.0.13.E
    BIOS V0.3301

PeteS, Apr 1, 2011
  2. PeteS

tryptamine

Isn't Linpus an outdated distribution that's no longer updated? The card should work without any extra configuration in most distributions with the iwlagn module, supported officially since kernel 2.6.27, in which case you'll need to either compile the module with a new kernel yourself and hope it works, or hope that someone has backported the module to your current kernel. (I would suggest just ditching Linpus and moving to Xubuntu or Crunchbang or another Ubuntu derivative, or to another major distribution like SuSE or Fedora, even if you can manage to get the card working, though.) It is possible that Linpus uses a customized kernel that either lacks or has disabled support for this driver module. You will also need a copy of the proprietary firmware, which is available from Intel; see the links at the bottom of this post. Please check your kernel version using

Code:
    $ uname -a
    and perform

Code:
    $ lsmod
    to see if the iwlagn driver is appropriately loaded. You can try to manually load the module using

Code:
    $ sudo modprobe mac80211
    Code:
    $ sudo modprobe iwlagn
    Please note that the $ in the above commands only refers to the non-root shell and should NOT be included in the command line. As I've never actually used this chipset or moreover this module at all, refer to the following sites for more information concerning Intel's wireless projects for Linux and this driver:

Code:
    http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/
    Code:
    http://wiki.debian.org/iwlagn
    (As a side note, could you please elaborate on what made you believe the Atheros-based card was the problem? Atheros are great about providing full support of their products for the Linux kernel, and the AOD-series Aspire Ones I've read about [i.e. the only ones I've read about, so I'm not totally sure about your AOA-series], including my D260, use Atheros-based cards.)

tryptamine, Apr 4, 2011
Ask a Question