WiFi ? ? ?, but it works fine

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Imagiazone, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Imagiazone

Imagiazone

Hi,

First, thanks to Acer to have produced such a nice piece of equipment. AspireOne is the natural replacement for an Asus 701. Congratulations too to the initiators of this Blog. It saves me many Google queries. Yes I will be glad to make a donation.

Here are my interrogations after few days of using my AOne (the Linpus version, what else). They are mostly about WiFi (which works perfectly).

When I was on my EeePc, I used to disconnect the session first and then dropped the link with the appropriate Cntrl key.

On the AOne, the only way I found is to stop the WiFi connection is by killing the session with the WiFi switch. The Linpus Network Manager doesn't offer a logout option. I don't find this elegant. More, the message (at least on my French version) even mentioned that the session has been « Interrupted »

Any of you found a another way to stop the wireless connection ?

Speaking about the WiFi switch, I am still a bit afraid to use it, it seems fragile. It would be nice to have Ctrl-key sequence to stop the connection. Like the one on the EeePC.

I thought that the WiFi Standard was to indicate a wireless connection by a blue light (yellow when it is on and blue when it is connected). On the Aone, the ligt stays yellow even when I am online. Is it the same on your set-up ? And what about the second light at the left of the button. Mine never went on. I also have read on a another blog that the light was blinking during transmission; haven't seen any blinking so on.

Finally, you have noticed that there is a trap door with 2 screws underside the AOne. Like me, you certainly have opened it ? It is empty. At first I thought it was an easy way to upgrade the memory but there is any connector. What is it for ?

That's all. Thanks for your help and sorry for my basic English.

Jean Pierre Dagenais
    Montreal, Canada

Imagiazone, Sep 6, 2008
  2. Imagiazone

anso

That free slot is for 3g/HDSPA support

anso, Sep 6, 2008
  3. Imagiazone

anso

Stop the wireless connection?

Log as ROOT in a console and type:
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 stop
    I don't know what interface name do linpus use, but if wlan0 doesn't work type:
    Code:
    iwconfig
    and use the interface that apears with wireless extensions, it might be ath0, wifi0 or eth1.

anso, Sep 8, 2008
  4. Imagiazone

naddie

First off all, there really isn't a standard LED color for WiFi. Some are green, some are amber, some are blue. The amber LED for the One' wifi is indeed the correct indication of WiFi (blinking means there's activity).

As for shutting it off properly, as long as there is no traffic, turning the switch of won't break anything. There isn't anything "elegant" about killing a connection. If you hit Fn+ whatever the button is to kill a connection, it's the same as using a hard switch.

Hope that helps.

naddie, Sep 8, 2008
  5. Imagiazone

Imagiazone

Thanks for the answers.

About the LED, I have 3 WiFi equipements (PDA and Laptops) and all of them have WiFi blue led. I tought it was a standard.

I know that "killing" the connection won't break anything. But with KDE Network Manager for example, you have the choice to "Disconnecting" first and then stop the connection (CTtrl-key). It might be a nice feature if you want to switch Acces Point. This also look to me a "good habit". After all, when I am wire connected I don't just pull the cable out when I want to quit.

Nothing about the second light at left of the buton ?

Thanks again

Jean Pierre Dagenais

Imagiazone, Sep 8, 2008
Ask a Question