WiFi adapter gone [Windows 7]

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Bassiewan, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Bassiewan

Bassiewan

Hello, recently I've updated my AOA150 to Windows 7 and it works great, except one thing. The wireless adapter has been gone in the hardware section since I used the sleeping mode on Windows 7. So does anyone knows how to get the WiFi adapter back again?

Bassiewan, Dec 20, 2009
  2. Bassiewan

troels

Yes, you must shut down completely and start again. I.e. restart is not enough.

troels, Dec 20, 2009
  3. Bassiewan

super1

I have the same problem, Can anyone help me :)

super1, Apr 14, 2010
  4. Bassiewan

Guest Guest

This has been happening to me constantly since upgrading to Windows 7. These are the only solutions I've found that seem to fix the problem:

1. Reboot. (temporary fix)

2. Open network and sharing center, click change adapter settings, and disable the card then immediately re-enable it. (temporary fix)

3. Get a new MiniPCI WiFi card. (permanent fix)

From what I've found while researching this problem, the Atheros AR5007EG card is garbage in Windows 7 and a pretty flaky WiFi card in general. I just bought an Intel card pretty cheaply on eBay because I was tired of this problem.

Guest, Apr 16, 2010
  5. Bassiewan

97vulcan

will purchasing and installing a MiniPCI WiFi card fix the issue of when putting my 532h to sleep, or hybernate WiFi no longer picks up, and I need to restart, or shut down?

If so, which MiniPCI WiFi card is recommended for the AAO 532h?

Regards,
    Adam

97vulcan, Aug 4, 2010
  6. Bassiewan

Swarvey Moderator

I challenge thee.

My D250 shipped with an Atheros AR5007EG mPCIe WiFi adapter. It has worked both out-of-box and with a fresh, clean install of Win7 Ultimate x86. There is only ONE problem I've had with it, which was using the Micro$oft drivers shipped with Win7 I was getting corrupted downloads. I immediately updated to the drivers from the Acer website, since then, it hasn't skipped a beat. Works both before and after sleep/suspend/hibernate/restart/cold boot. I always get a full 54MBps throughput and with the stocko aerial inside my D250, is still able to get 4 out of 5 bars of signal, when I am downstairs and two rooms over from my router. Hell I can even take it down the back yard with me while I work on my car. Not to mention whenever my netbook's on, the WiFi is on too, and alwasy connceted to my router, battery time is not seriously adversely effected.

Long story short, the AR5007EG is NOT a shabby card at all. And, I must say, most, if not all problems I've seen reported with it are from users with a 532H model AAO. Which, sad as it may be, seems like the most worthless netbook of them all. Lack of proper support, freezing issues, random other issues, and WiFi issues.

As to the OP, try the usual steps:
    * Ensure the BIOS version is up to date (Acer Australia lists v3310 as the latest
    * Ensure your drivers are up to date. It looks like Acer wasn't going to support the A150 on Win 7, they only have drivers for Win XP, but since you're running Win 7, try the Atheros AR5007EG drivers from another model, this link will get you the same drivers I'm using on my D250, a different model netbook yes, but the WiFi card is still an AR5007EG mPCIe card.

Swarvey, Aug 4, 2010
Ask a Question