Why doesnt the Mini PCI E work in the slot

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by nootrak4, Sep 23, 2008.

1. nootrak4

nootrak4

I have a Dell Cell Phone Broadband card in the from of a MIni PCI Express. If this computer has MPE why when i put it in the machine it wont post. Is there something i'm missing. I really hate have the dongles. Plus we have already spent money for the internal cards. Is there something we are missing here. I thought mini PCI E is the same on all machines. Does this acer have something special. I put in my Intel card it that worked with not problem. The reason i'm asking is because if there is something that is stopping me from doing this then i guess i will have no choice but to get the dongles and before i go and spend other $250 on a Cell broadband modem i would like to know. just incase you dont know what im talking about here is a picture of the card
    Dell Wireless 5720

More Details
    Manufacture Novatel Wireless Inc
    Device Model E725 Sprint
    Firmware version 145

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Dell%20Wire ... 1995283812

I wouldnt care if i had to get other card because this particular card doesnt work but i would perfer to replace my WIFI card with this Broadband modem. as i hardly use wifi unless im back at the office.

nootrak4, Sep 23, 2008
  2. nootrak4

melhiore

Is it EVDO standard?? You said it's not working but is this card detected by system or not?? What about operating frequency - which antennas you use??

miniPCI slots suppose to be the same - it's one standard...

melhiore, Sep 23, 2008
  3. nootrak4

nootrak4

when i install it in the acer it will not even show to bios boot. it will turn on but no bios. and I'm using the same antennas that came with the netbook. I mean is so funny because as soon as i take it out and try to turn it on the laptop works with no problem. you don't know how frustrating this is to me. I don't know what you mean by operating frequency. The only limitation i can see this having is the fact that they most had lock the bios down or this card uses too much energy but no one has been able to give me a straight answer and the acer tech support are all idiots. My whole thing is not having a stupid dongle sticking out of my netbook. I would hate to spend other $200+ on a stupid dongle anyway. Need straight answer

nootrak4, Sep 23, 2008
  4. nootrak4

the_raptor

Straight answer: It doesn't work. Any user modifications to AA1's are hacks with a variable chance of success.

Question: So you are replacing the standard Wi-Fi card with a wireless broadband card? Do you even know that the card is functional? Additionally I haven't heard of anyone replacing the Wi-Fi card with anything except another Wi-Fi card, the BIOS might be set to expect a wi-fi card on that connector and is failing when it detects something else.

Lesson: Should have waited for the native 3G AA1's.

the_raptor, Sep 23, 2008
  5. nootrak4

lxxl

look on this ;) its MB with 3G and check what is missing ;)

slot place
    [​IMG]
    place under SIM reader
    [​IMG]

give me some time i will provide with parts is missing ;) to add working miniPCI slot ;)

lxxl, Sep 23, 2008
  6. nootrak4

lxxl

here is a list what is missing:
    Code:
    place - component
    R256 - RESISTOR CHIP 0 1/16W +-5%(0402)
    C310 - CAP CHIP 0.1U 10V(+-10%,X7R,0402) *
    C310 - CAP CHIP 0.1U 10V(+-10%,X7R,0402) *
    C320 - CAP CHIP 10U 10V(+80-20%,Y5V,0805)
    C322,C46 - CAP CHIP 0.1U 10V(+-10%,X7R,0402) *
    C326 - CAP CHIP 0.47U,6.3V(+80%-20%,Y5V,0402)
    C43  - CAP CHIP 27P 50V(+-5% NPO 0402)
    C362 - CAPACITOR CHIP 1UF 10V(+-10%,X5R,0603)
    C37 - CAP CHIP 0.47U 10V(+-10%,X7R,0603)
    C39 - CAP CHIP 33P 50V(+-5%,COH,0402)
    L24 - EMI FILTERCHIP FBMJ3216HS800-T(80 4A)

so far i cant find EMI FILTERCHIP FBMJ3216HS800-T(80 4A) so no way to check it.

lxxl, Sep 24, 2008
  7. nootrak4

Ghostar

I tried the exact same thing with the exact same card and got the exact same result (no boot). It was worth a shot, but in the end I replaced the internal card with an Atheros 5008 802.11N card instead. The USB dongle isn't great, but it works :)

Ghostar, Sep 24, 2008
  8. nootrak4

nootrak4

yes the card works as my original post I took it out of my Dell D620. It an active card. it just wont boot on this machine. What i dont understand is why it wont work. it a MPCIE it should detect what every you put in it. Is like replacing the Hard drive on this machine. I have 120GB version and this machine can take what every 2.5 SATA drive in the future (as long has it sata 150 or sata 300 but most manufacture would make there drive backward compatible anyway). The Only thing i can think of is the fact that they disabled something in bios and this is why is not working. The Pin out are the same in both card. I went and got me a Compass 597 got a for a really good price ($45.00 from a friend), but would still like to be able to stick my card right inside my notebook. My only hope is that one of this GuRus out here would figure out a way to do it or if it an Acer bios limitation that Acer will enable it or that there other motherboard will have the MPCIE they left out on this unit i own. I Have asked this question in so many forums but no one has given me a straight answer still beside the smart ass answers you get some time. but I'm still looking for a solution. I wouldn't even mind cracking this Compass open and putting it inside the Netbook. But that question is How. lol

nootrak4, Sep 24, 2008
  9. nootrak4

Ace_TX

hmmm

i have had the xp/160gb acer on order for a minute now and was contemplating doing the same thing

the dang acer advertises a "minipci slot for wwan" :geek: so like most people i don't want a dongle, and have been checking for a cheap alternative---noticing that some dell/sprint rev A cards are on eBay for around $50 shipped (these are system pulls) and i was thinking of ordering one.

i'm guessing a bios update would do the trick on earlier versions of the aa1

either way i can buy the compass 597 @ $49 on sprint.com/eerthingplus w/ the 49.99 plan and then end up doing an esn change if the mpci card will actually work or we figure out how to make it work

but 1st things first, the boats need to hit the ports.

Ace_TX, Sep 25, 2008
  10. nootrak4

nootrak4

I guess no one really know if it a bios limitation or a Hardware limitation. i really hope it a bios thing and that when the 3g AA1 hits the street they have some kind of bios update that will let any Broadband Card work. Even if they get a new motherboard i guess i will have to switch for the new one. i really hate the dongle crap. I have been using my D620 for over 2 years with this card and is a god send with out needing to plug something in.

nootrak4, Sep 26, 2008
  11. nootrak4

thirteenthd

I tried the Intel Turbo memory in the mini PCI-E slot and it was recognized no problem. What I have found out through some reading is that most 3G modem uses the USB interface in the mini pci-e connector instead of being native PCI-Express. If you have modded your One by utilizing the USB signal in the mini PCI-E slot then you're, in essence, connecting two USB devices to the same port without a hub. That might cause the computer not to POST.

thirteenthd, Oct 9, 2008
  12. nootrak4

UncleDim

Also look at R44/R35 (near southbridge) on "older" an "newer" boards. Looks like "hardwired" jumper switched to another position.
    This difference may be 3G relative or caused by some other board configuration options - don't know.

UncleDim, Oct 9, 2008
  13. nootrak4

hugobene

@lxxl Could you please specify this components:

C344
    C351
    C352
    C353
    C374
    C49

(Do you know the Manufacturer Part No of all missing things?
    for example: C310, C311, C322, C46 -> LMK105BJ105KV-F)

Try this:
    FBMJ3216HS800-T or
    FBMJ3216HS800-T

thx

hugobene, Oct 9, 2008
  14. nootrak4

m80

Did you have to mod the PCI-E slot first, or did the PCI-E SSD just work? Do you know if it can be used as a boot devce? (just ordered my Aspire One)

Matthew

m80, Oct 31, 2008
  15. nootrak4

Painter

Hi,

According to the that post: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tnkgrl/sets/72157606718788110/ you have to tape pin 20.
    That is for 3G card inserted in the not installed from the factory mini PCIe slot in the rear of the board. That slot works in conjunction with the (again not installed) sim card reader.
    I have not tried that personally yet so i have no idea if it will work but it seems easy to try it as you already have the 3G card.

Stefanos

Painter, Nov 26, 2008
  16. nootrak4

dimigoug

Same result with my AA1-150. I tried this EVDO Novatel E720 card http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0311139578 with no success. The One won't post. This card has integrated GPS and also Linux MacOSX compatibility and will be a great addition for my triple boot AA1. I Hope some smart guy or girl will figure out how one can replace WiFi miniPCIE card with EVDO miniPCIE card on existing miniPCIE slot.

dimigoug, Dec 6, 2008
  17. nootrak4

mvgemst

Do you have a WiFi card connected, originally, to the pcie slot?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tnkgrl/298 ... 718788110/

mvgemst, Dec 11, 2008
  18. nootrak4

dimigoug

This picture shows mini PCI-e slot soldered by tnkgrl. Originally AA1 doesn't have it installed. I tried to replace the WiFi card with 3G EVDO Sprint mini PCI-e card. To get access to this card you have to take apart AA1.

dimigoug, Dec 12, 2008
  19. nootrak4

sam.hackint0sh

I was investigating the second mini PCI-e on the D250 board, after close investigation with some clockmaker magnifier I came up with followin pins beeing connected:
    http://hax0rpedia.com/index.php/Second_Mini_PCI-E

Anyone here can map a 3G card originally found in the AAO1 (D series is best) the same way? Just take it out and take uber high quality photo or map it manually with pen and paper using a magnifier.

sam.hackint0sh, May 15, 2009
Ask a Question