Why do many of you seem to dislike McAfee

Discussion in 'Windows' started by NORMAN85, Jun 20, 2009.

1. NORMAN85

NORMAN85

I'm just wondering , it comes free with my Comcast service so ive been using it for years and put it on the aao...are there any drawbacks , the only time i really notice it even there is when it does the daily update which sucks up some ram and takes a minute but aside from that ive never had any issues with slowdowns or anything of the sort. Can anyone bother to explain why its not a good antivirus for the aao or why its not a good antivirus in general,it would be much appreciated.Im just trying to enlighten myself as this is an area ive never really researched. I guess you can say ive become complacent with McAfee and now Im just looking for some worthwhile input Thanks!

NORMAN85, Jun 20, 2009
  2. NORMAN85

donec

I don't like it because it is not free, it is too large but I guess the main reason is that it is designed to be hard to remove. I wont use any software I can't remove and get rid of easily if I want to.

donec, Jun 20, 2009
  3. NORMAN85

Tamrac

It uses up too much resource compared to others. This is significant since netbooks are not really powerful PCs. You don't think it slows down your AAO, maybe because you haven't used it without McAfee. ;)

My Acer Timeline 13in also came w/ McAfee and it hogged the system so much it only lived on my laptop for 5min, and then UNINSTALLED... Installed AVIRA and whew, now it can breathe better hehe. :D

Tamrac, Jun 21, 2009
  4. NORMAN85

OldPhil

It does slow things down but it is still decent, I did have problems with it years back and just nixed it since. None of them are perfect!

OldPhil, Jun 25, 2009
  5. NORMAN85

bubbalooo

McAfee like a lot of the well known used AV programs can be disabled by trojans...etc, and it looks like they are running. I went over to a friends and removed over 50 hits with a set of 2 different free scanners McAfee showed no infections. You should always have a coupe of different ones on your computer anyway, that will play together.

Edit: McAfee also has 5 processes running so it uses CPU.

bubbalooo, Nov 16, 2009
  6. NORMAN85

Bramster

I hate that too. Actually I have the perfect solution to stop all processes running !

I switch my netbook OFF !

Bramster, Nov 24, 2009
  7. NORMAN85

chuckcalo

I dont like it because:

- Is not free.
    - It detects virus yet it doesnt clean them.
    - Has the most annoying OSD messages and interrupts me when I'm playing a fullscreen game.
    - It consumes too many system resources.
    - It sucks.
    - Even the most single virus can perfectly destroy a running McAfee.

I could go on but I feel like I'm giving it too much importance.

chuckcalo, Nov 28, 2009
  8. NORMAN85

TechSys

It gives too many false positives but doesn't catch a lot of true viruses that AVG, Avira, Avast, catches.
    I would use it before I used Norton. Talk about a piece of crap.

TechSys, Nov 28, 2009
  9. NORMAN85

larrymcg

After letting McAfee install on my AO751h I noticed that the system slowed down a lot. So I uninstalled McAfee (and also used the special McAfee remover app that gets rid of all the left over stuff). I disconnected from the internet and did some things and noticed a big performance improvement. So then I installed avast! (fee edition). I can't see a performance hit except when it is doing the update of the virus definitions.

I used to have McAfee (VirusScan only) on my other two desktop PCs and didn't think that the performance hit was very noticeable. But I use avast! on all my PCs now.

--Larry

larrymcg, Dec 16, 2009
  10. NORMAN85

Bramster

I just bought another yearly subscription for McAfee.

I am not bothered (or notice) any performance decrease with McAfee and Win7. My 751h runs fine, even when using Word or Excel. I think if you are interested in high speeds one should not buy a netbook at all, but a notebook.

Bramster, Dec 17, 2009
  11. NORMAN85

Tamrac

It's not that one is interested in high speed.... it's that there are alot of other AV that can do the same(if not better) job without actually slowing things down. Wouldn't you want that? hehehe. I have tried and tested so many antivirus software over the years, and McAfee sad to say never impressed me. Then and now.

Try Microsoft Security Essentials - it's surprisingly effective, and it's FREE from MS itself. ;)

Tamrac, Dec 21, 2009
Ask a Question