Why Аsus lаptоps аrе сhеаpеr thаn HP оr Dеll?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Allen1, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Allen1

Allen1

Why Аsus lаptоps аrе сhеаpеr thаn HP оr Dеll?

Allen1, Sep 2, 2016
  2. Allen1

BlueText

Part of this has to do with the fact that Dell and HP have been in the computer business longer and are more recognizable. So people with brand loyalty keep the price of HP and Dell higher. Though I've seen some expensive Asus laptops, most of the cheaper ones are kind of flimsy. But that could be said of all brands, except Mac, which doesn't sell a cheap anything. I just think that the lower end of Asus's laptops are really poorly made compared to what HP and Dell offer. But their higher end laptops are really well made.

BlueText, Sep 2, 2016
  3. Allen1

Corzhens

I agree that Dell and HP have their brands somewhat patented by the public already (that means well known) so they are maintaining the competitive price in the market. It is a business strategy to sell at a lower or higher price and some companies prefer to have a sort of exclusivity so they don't sell cheap. That is the trick of Apple, they sell at a high price which is not affordable to the masses and they earned a classy reputation for that. So maybe Asus is targeting the masses for their market.

Corzhens, Sep 5, 2016
  4. Allen1

Aree Wongwanlee

Asus is an Asian brand, isn't it? And HP and Dell are western brands, right? That should be one of the reasons why Asus is cheaper than HP or Dell. The cost of labor is much lower in Asia. Plus there is always this stigma attached to Asian brands. People tend to think that anything made in the west is always better and are prepared to pay more.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 5, 2016
  5. Allen1

Karen Gordon

I have an ASUS computer. It is OK but the DVD drive in it is terrible. That is my main complaint about this computer. I can't watch DVD's on it for the most part, unless they are realy basic. I also have never found a player on it, that I could watch movies on. So, I really don't like that. Other computers running Win 7 are much better in that regard, in my opinion. I don't know if all the ASUS have bad CD drives.

Karen Gordon, Sep 23, 2016
  6. Allen1

HappyKoi

I would agree that a lot of it is brand recognition. Hp and Dell put a lot more into advertising, at least here in the U.S., than ASUS seems to. It's the reason why a Nike shoe is more expensive than a similar one by a lesser known company. It could also be that Dell and HP include more "fluff" features that would be optional on an ASUS brand. Personally, I have never needed extra, and ASUS has been a very good company as far as product and customer service.
    Karen, I have personally never had a problem with my ASUS CD drive. When I've had a problem, it's been something I could trace back to my OS. What model do you have? I can see how some might perform better than others.

HappyKoi, Oct 5, 2016
  7. Allen1

MissExtra

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure but I can tell you that the only two ASUS products I've ever had (both of which were Android tablets) had great good memory, great speed and just preformed outstandingly their entire lives. Of course, the kicker is that their lives were very, very short.

Both tablets stopped working inside 6 months (which is annoying, given the 135 buck price tag for each) - one of them just quit turning on. No rhyme or reason to it. The other stopped recognizing the charger and eventually just lost power and never did come back on. I think it's fine, actually, other than it's inability to charge and I wish I knew how to fix it because if that hadn't happened, it was a darn fine bit of tech and did just what I needed it to do.

I've only used an ASUS tablet once, during a campaign rally, and it preformed well, too. It was mid-summer in the Midwest, hot as all get out, and the laptop stayed cool and kept on doing it's thing without external cooling or anything.

MissExtra, Oct 9, 2016
  8. Allen1

popper

I'll share my experience. I had both of our Toshiba laptops go belly up after 9 years. They don't really owe me anything, but I hope to be able to resurrect them. In the meantime, I picked up an ASUS F512DA from the local Office Depot. I got it for $280 and it has a Ryzen 3-3250 processor and 8GB RAM. Downside is small NVMe drive in it. I am going to be trying to upgrade it to at least 500GB size. It is not as flimsy feeling to me as the old Toshibas. Longevity is a question, but so far so good (about 8 months now). Other than that, it's been a good experience. Going prices seem to be a good bit higher than the bargain I got at my local O.D.

popper, Feb 28, 2021
Ask a Question