Which One to buy?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by edgecrush3r, Aug 14, 2008.

1. edgecrush3r

edgecrush3r

I cant stand the wait for the 6-cell version, so i am out buying 'One' this weekend.
    Still considering all the different options, i am quite clueless which One to buy.
    However SSD is the cewler option, I am quiete happy ordering using old-skool harddrives (heck,.. i'd never had any issues with them in other laptops anyway.)

except for *pricing and *cewlness factor, i dont seem to understand why some people prefer SSD.

Is there any difference in battery consumption between the HD and SSD versions?
    Is there any difference in weight between the HD and SSD version?
    Is SSD realy that slowwwww compared to HD?

Thanks,
    Tony

edgecrush3r, Aug 14, 2008
  2. edgecrush3r

Sid

My One travels lots, I prefer an SSD because I do not want a HDD, why, (out of 15 Dell lugtops in our workforce, six have suffered failed HDD's in the last year). Storage failure, a risk that I like to minimize.

Battery difference minimal, but the Linpus runs longer.
    Weight, minimal difference, but the SSD is lighter.
    SSD slow, not with Linpus, was the case on XP b ut I think the folk here have it sorted.

$0.02

Sid, Aug 14, 2008
  3. edgecrush3r

midgetdiablo

I'd say stick with HDD for now with 120GB of space. That's much more worth it compared to the ridiculously small 8GB of space you get from an SSD. The SSD is a growing trend, but it hasn't matured yet. It's great that SSD's are more reliable, but if you haven't run into any troubles with HDD's thusfar(I know I haven't) then just go for the HDD.

midgetdiablo, Aug 14, 2008
  4. edgecrush3r

Mike C

I have two items that require xp to program, so the 120gb was the obvious choice for me. Also you could always install a better ssd drive later once the price comes down.

I would decide if you need windows, or if linux will fit your needs.

Mike C, Aug 14, 2008
  5. edgecrush3r

gbee

My main reason for the SSD is the lack of moving parts, meaning the machine can safely be left running while being moved something which makes a lot of sense for an ultra portable which you might want to throw into a bag at short notice when you have to run to a meeting or catch a train. Although modern laptop HDDs can resist a little motion and the odd knock, the manufacturers will not guarentee you this and they simply can't stand the same punishment as an SSD.

You also have to consider what you'd really want to store on such a small machine, it's not a desktop replacement after all, it's not even a laptop replacement if you do a lot of work on laptops. It's a convenient sized device for those times when you don't want or need to haul around a proper laptop, storing your 50Gb music/video collection on it or installing several GB of games etc makes no sense - if that's what you want get an Ipod or PSP. 8Gb is more than enough room. The SD card slots mean that you can always bring some enough video, music or photos with you for entertainment on the train, plane or a few nights in a hotel room.

Well that's my opinion anyway.

gbee, Aug 14, 2008
  6. edgecrush3r

glibdud

In theory, SSD has all the benefits of reduced power consumption, faster random access, reduced size and weight, and reduced noise. In practice, at the price level of the A1, the cheap SSDs being used aren't going to realize all of those benefits. I still echo what gbee said, though... lack of moving parts is the biggest plus. In my experience, hard drives are the most unreliable part in a computer system, especially in laptops (and I think even more so when you continue to reduce the size and weight of the machine). I wouldn't consider buying an HDD-based netbook, but then again I won't be doing anything with it that requires a significant amount of storage capacity. Your needs may be different.

glibdud, Aug 14, 2008
  7. edgecrush3r

Sid

I will have bought a newer One with wimax before the price of SSD's reduces to a sensible level :)
    Drop a 16gb SDHC card (about £30) in the left slot, 24gb is plenty of space to work with.

Sid, Aug 14, 2008
  8. edgecrush3r

edgecrush3r

Thanks guys.. I just got the 120gb version, as i concluded to want both Windows and a dozen of Linux distros like gOS. :D
    Comparing to my 17" inch 3.9 kilo Sony Vaio it just looks sooo light :mrgreen: ..

edgecrush3r, Aug 14, 2008
Ask a Question