Which - Fedora Version

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Geffers, May 22, 2009.

1. Geffers

Geffers

On my Linpus netbook the package manager's repositories all appear to show Fedora 8.

Is that the version that needs to be used or should it be upodated :?:

Geffers

Geffers, May 22, 2009
  2. Geffers

RockDoctor

Linpus is based on Fedora 8; if you're going to stay with Linpus, you should probably stick to Fedora 8 repositories. However... Fedora 8 has reached end-of-life and is no longer being supported by the Fedora folks. If Linpus does everything you need, I'd recommend staying with it. If you're feeling adventurous, the Fedora 11 and Ubuntu 9.10 development versions both work well for me (as do Fedora 10, Ubuntu 9.04, Mandriva 2009.1, Puppy 4.10-27, and a few others).

If you're going to switch distros, be sure to back up your valuable data to a removable device (and remove that device!) before installing the new distro.

RockDoctor, May 22, 2009
  3. Geffers

Geffers

New machine so no data saved.

Linpus simple and OK but I would like to install a couple of programs that don't appear to have suitable RPM packages.

I use Ubuntu on my desktop but would like to become familiar with RPMs so may stay with this for a while.

Geffers

Geffers, May 22, 2009
Ask a Question