Where to buy 3G USB modem with Linpus drivers?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by phd, Aug 13, 2008.

1. phd

phd

I bought my Acer one just a week ago. The reseller was convinced that it wouldn't be a problem to go to one of our telecom providers (Belgium) and install one of their USB 3G modems.
    I was very disapointed to find out that the models they sell do not come with Linpus Linux drivers...

Can somebody give me a brand and model of a 3G USB modem and maybe a hint where I can buy it?

Or are there other solutions?

REMARK: I am just a simple user of computers and software and it's my first time with Linux (and I like it)

phd, Aug 13, 2008
  2. phd

janss

Well, I don't think any of the 3G modem makers officially supply Linux drivers, so you can just forget about that.
    BUT that doesn't mean that there aren't any drivers and ways to make them work.

I have an Option iCon 225 USB 3G modem myself, and got it working following the steps found in the Option iCON 225 3G-modem -thread.

The One actually has the hso-driver for several usb modems pre-installed, but the darn fools didn't also pre-install any tools to actually use the modems. The pharscape link on that thread leads to installation istructions of hsoconnect and hsolinkcontrol which are needed to use the modem.

There are good instructions on the web about installing several common 3G modems. Many Huawei and Option models are well supported, so I'd go for one of those if possible.

What are the modems that telecom companies offer in there? If you can give us some models, we can give recommendations on what can be used on Linux easily-ish.

janss, Aug 14, 2008
  3. phd

ronmexico

The novatel ovation mc950d is said to be linux ready. I recently got one but havent had a chance to try it with linpus yet. I am currently running xp I will be trying it out with linpus though and i will report back results. I just have to find the time to reload linpus!

ronmexico, Aug 14, 2008
  4. phd

phd

The one used by the telecom operators over here is the OPTION GLOBESURFER ICON 7.2
    You can see it on www.option.com in the E-shop section.

Just to make sure: I am a computer user but not an computer wizard.
    I'm new in using Linux (and I like this Limpus version a lot)

So I would really need to find a "how to install" for beginners :D

All help is welcome. Maybe I can make a nice manual for other users with the same wishes.

phd, Aug 14, 2008
  5. phd

ronmexico

ronmexico, Aug 14, 2008
  6. phd

phd

Hello Ronmexico

Found teh time to try your Novatel on Limpus yet?

THis is what I got returned from OPTION

At this moment Option does not provide application or driver support for Linux. However, you can find more information about the installation and use under Linux on the following link:

http://support.option.com/support/faq.p ... ticleid=11

For me that's to complecated. But for somebody else it might be very handy...

phd, Aug 22, 2008
  7. phd

drewb

Have you tried the Vodafone Mobile Connect Card Driver For Linux from Betavine? I have a 3G modem from T-Mobile and the drivers work just fine.

drewb, Aug 22, 2008
  8. phd

phd

I suppose T-mobile is you provider? What's the exact brand of your modem?
    Maybe I can buy the same modem and use a Sim from one of the Belgian operators.
    I was on Betavin but I got a little lost.
    Can you post the URL where you downloaded the driver?
    So buy installinge this driver, your USB modem was imediatly recognised by Linpus?
    What software did you use then to dial in?

(I'm just a simple PC-user so not everything is always obvious for me)

phd, Aug 24, 2008
  9. phd

phd

Hi guys,

Today I received an e-mail from Linpus.com (I contacted them also with my problem).
    The email stated: "Hi Philip,

Aspire One now support OPTION 3G modem by performing Live Update action.

Reboot after installation and then click on the Network Icon. Press "Add" button to setup 3G.

Best Regards,

Customer Services Representative
    Linpus Technology, Inc"

So I reïnstalled Linpus, did a live update, rebooted, plugged in my Option ICON 225 USB modem and BINGO!
    It appeared with the available networks.
    I just had to enter the PIN-code en the name of the APN network to get connected.

That just made my day !!!!!!!

Thanks for alle the guys that try to help me find a solution.

Phil.

P.S. I guess it has also to do with the announcement that Option will supply the build-in 3G modem for the Aspire One.
    It was today in our newspaper (Option is a Belgian company)

phd, Sep 23, 2008
  10. phd

kaldek

My LiveUpdate isn't showing any updates and the Connection manager isn't showing any 3G settings.

Is this limited to Europe or something? What are the prerequisites to see the options in the Network Center?

If I check the "System" icon, under "Networks" it says "3G/Wimax: Huawei E620 3G modem". So, there is some process recognising the connected device but there is no option to create a 3G connection in the Network Manager.

Please attach screenshots of what your Network Manager says, if you can!

kaldek, Sep 24, 2008
  11. phd

saymyname

C120 - HSDPA USB Dongle Modem

i have this modem i use it in my other pc's but i didnt know how to modify the settings to make it work in my linpus even though i got the procedure :mrgreen:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Driver for Fedora_8 (BandLuxe C120 Black)

http://www.bandrich.com/download03.aspx ... =25&lang=3

details:

http://www.bandrich.com/detail.aspx?id=2&lang=3

Edit:

am stuck on the No.(5) step??
    [user@localhost ~]$ cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
    cat: /proc/bus/usb/devices: No such file or directory
    [user@localhost ~]$

saymyname, Sep 24, 2008
  12. phd

Fuerst

Hi, Vodafone does: