WhatsApp Down for Many, Confirms Facebook-Owned Messaging Service

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

[​IMG]

It's not just you, WhatsApp is down for many others. Several users across the world are reporting issues connecting to WhatsApp on New Year's Eve, and the Facebook-owned messaging service has acknowledged the issue.

"Some people have had trouble accessing WhatsApp for a short period today. We're working to restore service back to 100% for everyone and we apologise for the inconvenience," a WhatsApp spokesperson told Gadgets 360 in a statement.

Earlier, many users took to Twitter to complaint that WhatsApp is down, while others reported connectivity issues. The messaging and voice calling client seemed to be having issues sending and receiving messages on both Android and iOS. Gadgets 360 was able to independently confirm the issue. DownDetector, a realtime services outage monitor, also reported multiple issues.

Around 10pmIST on Thursday, several users started to note that they weren't being able to send or receieve messages or make calls via WhatsApp. It is not known what caused the problems, though it could just be a massive spike in traffic on New Year's Eve, traditionally a day of record traffic for the app. The WhatsApp Status Twitter handle has so far been silent on the downtime.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/news/whatsapp-is-down-on-new-years-eve-784473

Sefie, Dec 31, 2015
  2. Sefie

jamesbonner

I though it was just me and my phone lol I also though that my internet is the reason ! but i was wrong, what may be the reason? is it because a lot of people were making calls in the same time?

jamesbonner, Dec 31, 2015
  3. Sefie

IcyBC

I don't use WhatApps so I am fine! I don't understand why people needs it in the first place? With all smart phones, there is already a text messaging built in, and I just use that!

IcyBC, Jan 1, 2016
  4. Sefie

Sefie

@IcyBC Because those texts messages don't cost us a dime, and also it's possible to call for free other users. It's an awesome app and most people I know use it to keep in touch with everyone. It's 100% free and that makes it wonderful :)

Sefie, Jan 1, 2016
  5. Sefie

Sefie

They think this could be caused by spike in traffic (it's in the article, actually), apparently it's common this kind of things happen during this time of the year, because most people are surely trying to contact all their relatives and friends :)

Sefie, Jan 1, 2016
Ask a Question