What's wrong with my touchpad?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jski, Sep 9, 2008.

1. jski

jski

So here's the situation.

I opened up my One (120gb/XP) today to add 1gb of ram (Corsair ValueSelect 533mhz, 1gb stick) that I had from another laptop. Besides one stripped screw I had to drill out, everything went just fine. I booted the computer up, checked in the BIOS that 1.5gb of ram was showing (it was), and I was happy as can be. That is, until I got into windows.

When I tried to use the touchpad, I immediately noticed something was wrong. Clicking with the left mouse button just didn't work! Figuring I had done something wrong, I checked and made sure the connection to the motherboard was reattached correctly; it was. Puzzled further, I tried rebooting a few times. Nothing. Tried uninstalling the Synaptics drivers/software; nothing. I am currently just using the "disable buttons" setting in the Synaptics control panel, so I can at LEAST use the "tap" feature to still have access to left click.

After googling some, it seems some people (mostly EEE users!) have had similar Synaptics problems like this; the touchpad's left button shows as CONSTANTLY on. In the little Synaptics icon in the System Tray, I have a similar thing happening. Whenever I use the touchpad itself (with the buttons enabled), the left mouse button seems to be constantly depressed. It is not MECHANICALLY depressed, as I have checked a couple times now incredulously, but nonetheless the software recognizes that it is pressed down. This makes the touchpad nearly useless for everyday use, unless I disable the buttons, in which case I have no access to Right clicking at all!

I am at my wits end; I don't know whether to contact Acer, since apparently changing memory can lead to warranty terminations (I had no idea :( ), but I do know I need to get this fixed! Here's a list of everything I've tried:

1. Reconnecting cable from touchpad to motherboard at both points, nothing.
    2. Uninstalling the software and using Windows' built in drivers, nothing, no left clicking at all, and no tap-to-click, either.
    3. Reinstalling Synaptics drivers from Acer's driver website; nothing, back to square one.
    4. Booting into Safe Mode, thinking it's maybe a virus or something? nothing.

Someone please help; I don't want to send my One in for repairs, but it's not very useful this way :(

Oh, and I forgot to mention; with the Synaptics drivers/software installed, multi-touch and all the other fancy features still work.

jski, Sep 9, 2008
  2. jski

Achilles

If you removed the motherboard to install RAM then you would have had to disconnect the touchpanel ribbon connector. I would suggest trying reseating this to see if that helps as it may simply be a dodgy connection.

Achilles, Sep 10, 2008
  3. jski

greim

Same problem on an AA1 under Linux. This threat helped a little:
    viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1433&p=9564&hilit=mouse#p9564

simply moving the mouse while starting the system

tap on the mouse-pad ist now working, but the buttons are allready not in funktion. If I want to setup my touchpad, I get the following message in German:

"Touchpad konnte nicht intitialisiert werden. Sie müssen 'SHMConfig' 'true' in xorg.conf oder XF86Config einstellen, um Touchpad zu nutzen."

Which means that "SHMCofnig" in etc/x11/xorg.conf is not "true". I tried out, but it was "on". I tested with "true", same result. XF86Config doesn't exist. By looking arround here in the forum I found out that this should relate with a password problem.

I found the threat viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2058#p20893 and I used "sudo rmmod psmouse && sudo modprobe psmouse" as suggested there. So mouse is running. Press "Alt" +F2 then "Terminal" and write in the line "sudo...". But I have to do it every session. Ok, with arrow up I can fetch the "sudo..." automatically, but it's not a real solution.

The "SHMConfig..." I solved by a complete new intallation of my Linpus-Linux. Then I used the terminal as descripted above and did a live-update. Now I can setup everything the way I want.

But in any way my left mouse button respectively my left touchpad button does not work at all. Now I pressume a hardware problem. The my AAO is still in waranty-time, so I will send it to my seller, if no other suggestions come along here.

greim, Sep 10, 2008
  4. jski

rd4k1

I'm having the same problem. Left click shows constant on. Temporarly solved by switch to left handed, now cant right click.
    WinXP/120gb A150-1570

Any fix for this yet? Specifically for XP

rd4k1, Sep 27, 2008
  5. jski

rd4k1

working now
    Dont know how

Changed to left handed in Synaptics. First time using it this afternoon, buttons working the way thier supposed to. Changed Synaptics back to right handed.

Edit: Nevermind, the problem returned after a short while.
    Does anyone else have a problem with dragging with the buttons disabled?

rd4k1, Sep 27, 2008
Ask a Question